Saturday 27 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - PATRIA ROWE



1.      What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Patria Dunn-Rowe (author of The Gifts:Trilogy) I’m a 30 year old mother of three children (ages 4, 5, & 7) from Louisa, Virginia.  I was born in Winchester, Virginia, raised in Louisa Louisa, went to JMU in Harrisonburg, VA and then moved back to Louisa. So…I think it’s safe to say that I like keeping my roots close to home.
2.    What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
The latest book of the trilogy is Revelation. 20 words or less… The Gifts Trilogy is a fantasy lover's must read and Revelation is the perfect ending to an amazing story.
3.    Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Revelation is the last book of The Gifts Trilogy, and I’m currently working on a bonus novella for the trilogy titled: The Book of Gideon
4.    How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
This question leads to a very complex answer for me, but I’ll try to keep it short!
In my heart, I think I have always been a writer, but I didn’t figure that out until about a year and a half ago. My eleventh grade year of high school, I had the honor of being in an advanced English class of one of the best teachers of all time (in my mind) –Ed Buhrer.
That first day I was terrified of what would be required of me, but English was a subject that I was most passionate about, and I was ready to give it my all. That first day I walked into the classroom there was a small 3x5 index card on every desk that read:
This is my daybook.
In it are my dreams, my imaginings and crazy, random thoughts. In here are 
recorded both my good and bad days; lurking in these pages are clues to my 
inner selves. THIS IS NOT MY DIARY; I do not have time to record what I ate 
for lunch, or why I failed that midterm I studied so hard for, and to be honest, I probably don’t care why a friend had a fight(again) with a boy/girlfriend. I care more about what that friend does. Someday, I will re visit these pages to discover how I have changed and what dreams and hopes and lives I wrote about today I still have to live.
This one little index card is what changed my life. I followed the instructions to a T and I began to write. From then on, through college, and up until I had my first child - I wrote what I imagined; I wrote what I felt; I wrote what I dreamed. I didn’t know at the time that what I wrote then, would later lead me to become a self published author.
A year a half ago I sat down and read the whole Twilight Saga in four days. I even took the fourth day off of work just so that I could finish Breaking Dawn! In the months that followed, Stephenie Meyer’s writing style stayed with me, and I knew that I could write something just as great, but I wasn’t ready yet. So…for months…I read other books, and thought about what I wanted my first book to be about. And then…it hit me!

From the very first sentence that I wrote of book one of the Trilogy, I became a writer. I’ve been writing ever since.
5.    Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
I’ve gifted books to a few blogger for reviews, but not really to readers. The first book of the trilogy: The Gifts is currently being offered for free on Amazon, so I’m hoping that all those readers out there who have it, will eventually review it.
6.    How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
When I originally published the Trilogy, I used creatspace’s templates to cover up with a cover design, and I added in my own stock photos. Now that I’ve been in the game a little longer, I’ve realized that I need even better cover, so Author Chritine M. Butler (The Awakening Trilogy) has just recently agreed to redo all of the covers for the trilogy. The first one was just uploaded yesterday. You should go check it out!
7.    Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
One quote that has always stayed with me I actually heard spoken, first, by Whoopi Goldberg In the movie: Sister Act 2 when she quoted Rainer Maria Rilke –Author of Letters To A Young Poet-. “A fellow used to write to him and say: "I want to be a writer. Please read my stuff." And Rilke says to this guy: "Don't ask me about being a writer. lf when you wake up in the morning you can think of nothing but writing...then you're a writer."
It’s my inspiration, and it’s what keeps me going when I feel like I might as well just give up. I wake up every morning and I dream every night about the stories I want to write. I am inspired, and I am meant to be a writer.
8.    Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
When I first started doing this, I had my doubt about ebooks. I just couldn’t get into reading books on a screen. Once I had my own books out, I started downloading other authors books, and now it’s the way I prefer to read
9.    Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
Author Christine M. Butler & Author Vana Vargas (Vana V.) are definitely two to watch out for. They are both amazing writers/storytellers, and I’ve enjoyed all of their books immensely.  They have that WOW factor you look for when reading a truly good book, and it inspires me to be an even better writer
10.  Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
I would probably go back and add titles to all the chapters. It seems to be the trend these days, and I have to admit, it does make the book a little more interesting. I do have that option to go back and do that, and maybe once I get some of my other projects out of the way I will.
11.  What do you think about book trailers?
I think book trailers are neat, and can be used for a marketing/promotional tool. I have a book trailer, that I’m not crazy about, but it’s ok… I don’t think it has brought me any extra sales, but still…I like having it.
12.  What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
You are your biggest cheerleader! Never give up!
13.  Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
I use the pen name Danity O’Shae for my erotica titles: Killer Temptations, Killer Temptions: GREED,  Little Black Books, & Snatched

Where can readers follow you?

Follow me on twitter @Patria Dunn-Rowe
Blog:

Your web site: http://www.moonlitdreams.org/patrias-blog.html

Your Goodreads author page:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4754460.Patria_Dunn_Rowe

And any other information you wish to supply?

I would just like to thank you:  Sandra "Jeanz"  for the opportunity to do the interview and, I would also like to thank every reader out there that has purchased and read the books of The Gifts Trilogy, or plan to purchase and read them. You have helped me fulfill one of my lifelong dreams of becoming an author whose work is shared with, and read by many. I pray that this story has inspired you to read more of my books and support my journey to become even more than a self published author.

It is with most humble fervor that I give all glory to God for the many talents he has blessed me with.

I am looking forward to the journey that I have ahead of me, and I hope to include you all in my many adventures I have waiting in my imagination!



Buy Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment