Friday 26 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - JOSEPH VALENTINETTI

  1. What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Joseph Valentinetti. I was born in New York City. Since then I’ve migrated across the country, stopping, sometimes for years, in different places but finally winding up in Upland California. Upland’s in the southern part of the state 40 miles east of the ocean and 40 miles west of the mountains. Upland is a silly name for a place. It’s more like a place holder, something you use while you’re trying to think of something better. But in some ways I’m lucky; two miles further east and I’d of ended up in Rancho Cucamonga.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
Tyler Palewhite is pretending to be a private detective. What could possible go wrong?

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
I’ve been writing most my life but some reason, every once in a while I stopped. I wrote poetry, got some published—stopped. Wrote a novel, St. Martin’s published it—stopped. Et cetera. Maybe it was other things were just more fun at the time or maybe I got lonely, writing is lonely.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
I’d be happy to gift you or any reviewer in return for an honest review.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
I come up with titles. I pull them out of my.. well you know. The hardest time I ever had titling a novel was when I tried to work with someone else. Maybe I was trying too hard to please but I wasn’t pleasing myself. I do my covers in consultation with the graphic artist G.W. Puffer. He’s one of those artists who relishes feedback during the creative process.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I use to swear I would never read an e-book. I liked the feel of the book in my hands. But I’ve changed my mind about that. Travelling without a box of books is a relief and e-books make it impossible to forget a book you wanted to bring along. I have also come to realization that the talent available in self-published books id too great to ignore and I now shop self published books almost exclusively and certainly first, before considering an author who has half the done work done him.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
The simple answer is no, books don’t translate well to movies, especially good books, It’s inherent in the differences in the media themselves. However, Director John Huston was an exception. The Maltese Falcon is just one example. He said himself, I had the good sense to follow the book.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
Martin Chuzzlewit. Still catching up on Dickens. It is funny in that English way that only the English can do.
            
            Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
Nothing. At some point a book is finished. Like a child who has grown to adulthood-my book isn’t my child as a child but my child as an adult. What it has become is what it is and I accept it on that basis.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Don’t give up. And no matter what the popular advice is about knowing your audience and writing for them, write first for yourself. Please yourself and be careful of popular advice. Look to yourself for the answers.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
No. Popeye said, I um what I um and that’s all that I um. I agree.


Where can readers follow you?

Your blog details?
http://www.valentinetti.com/viewre-views/

Your Goodreads author page?
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6094701-joseph I have this. Is this an author’s page? If not how do I get one?

Your Twitter details?
http://twitter.com/#!/valentinetti @valentinetti

And any other information you wish to supply?
www.vimeo.com/user3391619 My Videos, spoken verse.








Thank you for taking the time out from your busy schedule to do this interview and allowing us a glimpe into your writing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment