Saturday 20 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - MARTIN J WEBB

Martin J Webb is the author of Jake West ; The Keeper Of The Stones.




What is your name, Where were you born, Where do you live now?
My name is Martin John Webb and I was born in Walsall, England. I live in a house not far from the one I was born in.I love the area and the people that live here.


What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My debut novel is Jake West; The Keeper Of The Stones. Its an epic, fantasy adventure about honour, loyalty, friendship and coming of age, described as Harry Potter meets Lord Of The Rings.


Do you have plans for a new book? Is it part of a series?
I have almost completed the sequel and it is part of a three book series which has the potential for many prequels and sequels. The concept is huge and the possibilities endless.


How long have you been writing? and who or what inspired you to write?
I was inspired by my two children. I wanted to do something for them, to give them a little piece of my soul, something I had put a lot of effort into and something they would always have to remind them of me and how much I love them. I have been writing for a little over two years.


Do you gift books to readers to review?
Not as a rule but I have on occasion, if I like the reviewers blog/site.


How do you come up with the Titles and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the cover for your book/books?
The title and manuscript are all me. The artwork is all the work of a brilliant illustrator called A J Hately. She's a personal friend and she hails from Tamworth, England. I'm very lucky to know her as she's enormously talented.


Have you ever based characters on people you know or events on things that have happened to you?
None of my characters are based on people I know but some have characteristics or histories that closely resemble some of my mates. Ben Brooker for example is a lot like a friend of mine.


Is there a certain author that influenced you in writing?
No. Believe it or not, I had never read a fantasy novel before penning my own novel. I used to read military biographies and crime thrillers. I have read a few since and am enjoying learning all about the genre. I feel like a kid in a sweet shop at the moment as its all new and fresh for me,, its exciting.


Which format of book do you prefer? (ebook, paperback or hard cover)
Definitely a hardback . Love to turn a page I can't read on a pc. Softback crease and do not wear well with age. I tend to keep books I like forever.


What is your favourite book and why? Have you read it more than once?
I would have to say King Lear by William Shakespeare. I studied it for 'A' level and loved it. It works on so many levels and always reminds me of when I saw Anthony Hopkins playing the lead many years ago. Read it so many times its worn out.


Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is your favourite/worst book to movie transfer?
I think it depends on the scriptwriters. Some books (such as LOTR) transfer brilliant. I'm afraid I found the book a little tedious in places and I wanted it to move the story on quicker, but I absolutely loved the films. Worst transfer I think was The Time Traveller's Wife.I thought the book was greatbut did not like the film one bitas I didn't think it did justice to the author's work.


What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it? (ebook, paperback or hardcover)
I'm reading Spring , the first book of the Hyddenworld series. So far I am only forty pages in but enjoying the start and premise. I also like his writing style and layout.


Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
I will never read an autobiography of someone I do not respect or like. I want to be inspired and think life is too short to waste reading about trivial matters.


Are there any new authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and why she we watch out for them?
I wouldn't single anyone out. There are so many good authors out there who have never been given a break. The only way to know is to read anything that takes your fancy, immerse yourself in the experience and keep an open mind.


Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
I would have loved to have been able to afford a professional edit. I couldn't and I hate the fact that its competing against books and novelists who had the best out there. I know that the readers are still enjoying it but I am having a sequel edited and believe it will be all the better for it.


What do you think about book trailers?
Love 'em. Mine's on Youtube and it's been done professionally done. I think they do influence readers and are far more exciting than a poster or leaflet/press release.


What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Be patient. Don't submit before you are ready and your manuscript is the best it could possibly be. Ignore everyone who tells you you're brilliant but then want you to buy their services/product. Gain a sense of humour and a thick skin, prepare to lose sleep and keep a pen and pencil by your bedside. And most importantly have fun and don't let your passion consume you.


Do you, or would you ever use a pen name?
I write under my own name M J Webb. I did not consider using a pen name , but understand those that do.


Where can readers follow you?

On my site at www.jakewest.co.uk or on facebook and twitter.

Your blog details? 

N/A
Your web site ?      
www.jakewest.co.uk
Your facebook page?
 Jake West Group    Fans of Jake West Group    Jake West
Your Goodreads author page? 
I’m on Goodreads as M J Webb
Your Twitter details?   
I’m on Twitter as M J Webb
And any other information you wish to supply?   
 It’s on Kindle and Smashwords, Lulu and Lebrary as well as all online retailers as well as being on Waterstones and W H Smith’s stocklists.





Thankyou for taking the time t do this interview and giving us a glimpse of your writing world.






This book is an epic fantasy adventure which will appeal to readers of all ages. What if you found yourself thrust into a far away, mystical world of warriors, wars and magic? What if you were being hunted by the most ferocious warrior to ever carry a sword? What if you were the greatest hope we have in the eternal battle against evil, at just fifteen years of age? What would you do? Their world was searching for a hero. Ours never even knew that it needed one!

No comments:

Post a Comment