Wednesday 31 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - EDINA JACKSON



Edina Jackson is a mother, business woman and author/journalist. She runs her own copywriting and online media company from home.  She has a love of all things pink, lip gloss, high heels and bright red roses. She believes in the power of hard work and she hopes that her writing will go on to inspire many around the globe.
1.   What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Edina Jackson. I was born in a lovely place called Greenwich in South East London United Kingdom. I currently reside in East London, United Kingdom.

2.   What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My latest book is called Dusty the Ditsy Dog Paints the Town Blue. I would say the  book is a bright, fun and positive book for children. It might make you smile and it will no doubt brighten up your day. Just like the main character, it is loveable!

3.   Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
            The Dusty book is part of a series of 10 books, this one being the first book. I have written several books including adult fiction and inspirational poetry. I have plans for many more books in the future but I don't like to look too far ahead. I like to deal with the here and now and focus on the current project. There are so many plans for the Dusty the Ditsy dog brand, so watch this space.

4.   How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
I have been writing since the age of six, well probably for as long as I could hold a pencil. I wrote my first poem at the age of six and I have not looked back.  Was inspired to write by Maya Angelou and by Michael Jackson.  I listened to Michael Jackson's lyrics and thought that one day I could inspire people with my writing just like he did with his music.

5.   Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Yes I do gift books to readers, depending on what they plan to do with the review. I am open to reviews.

6.   How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
I worked with my illustrator to come up with the illustrations. The publishing company Bright Spark and Derek the publisher came up with the cover designs. I wanted it to introduce Dusty in a bright and fun way. I think we have achieved that.

7.   Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
I have written four novels, which will be released in the future and yes I have based characters on events that have happened to me. I am inspired by life and real life events, and so sometimes I write from my subconscious mind. I look back on what I have written and I realise that 
the story mirrors something that actually did happen to me. So, sometimes it is not intentional.

8.   Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
One of my favourite authors of all time is Maya Angelou. I just love her books, I adore her poetry and I am enthralled by her speeches. Michael Jackson, although he was not really an author he had a poetry book called 'Dancing the Dream.' The book was filled with mouth watering poems and reflections. He wrote some of his songs almost like he was writing a story so I was definitely inspired by him as well as Maya Angelou. My favourite children's author has always been Roald Dahl. I loved James and the Giant Peach amongst other stories.

9.   Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I love technology so I do like e books because they are convenient. However, I actually prefer paperback books because they bend with age. I love old, creased, bendy books. I must admit though old Shakespeare books are best in hardback format with a lot of dust on them!

10.                What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
I don't just have one favourite book I have hundreds of books that I enjoy. I will give you two, I love I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou.  She tells the story of the early part of her life, with passion and intricacy. It can definitely move you to tears, but it also inspires you to just get on with it and achieve your goals regardless of what you have been through in your life.

Another favourite book of mine is The Alchemist by  Paulo Coelho. The message behind the book is that you can do anything, turn nothing into something. I believe that we have  all been put here for a purpose and no matter what we can rise to greatness.

11.                Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
To be quite honest I rarely watch movies that were once my favourite books. However, I did like the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I don't really have a worst book to movie.

12.                What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I am currently reading The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale. I have read it over 50 times but I always find some new nugget of information in it. I am reading it on my Blackberry through a book reading program.

13.                Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
I am open minded when it comes to books. I don't judge a book by it's cover. However, I did start reading  Tony Morrison's Beloved. I found that I could not finish it for some reason.

14.                Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
Well, at the moment the authors on my publishers website take a look at them http://www.brightsparkpublishing.co.uk

15.                Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
               No not at the moment

16.                What do you think about book trailers?
         I have not watched too many book trailers. I will have to take a look.

17.                What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
My advice would be to never give up. Rejection is inevitable when you are writer, even the best writers were rejected over and over again. So, develop thick skin and just believe in your own power. Don't give up just because people tell you that you will not make it. Just keep fighting for your dream and work harder than you have ever worked in your life. Keep the faith.

Where can readers follow you?

Your blog details?  Http://www.writinghustler.com
Your web site ? Http://www.edinajackson.co.uk (author website)
Business website: http://www.intriguecopywriting.com
Your facebook page? Dusty fan page:
Edina Facebook page:
Your Twitter details?
@writingthedream and @Dustythedogbook
And any other information you wish to supply?
For features and reviews please contact info@intriguecopywriting.com
To my son, love you booba.
Keep the faith. Xxxx Love, light and lip gloss. 



Thank you for taking the time from your schedule to do this interview. 

No comments:

Post a Comment