Wednesday 17 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - JAYDE SCOTT

Jayde Scott is the author of A Job From Hell, Blackwood, and The Divorce Club among others.






What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Thank you so much for having me, Sandra. My name is Jayde Scott and I'm the writer of the Ancient Legends series. I currently reside in London, UK.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
The name of my latest book is Black Wood, A Witch Rising Book One. Black Wood is a teen fantasy about a young witch's fight against dark forces trying to destroy the world.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I'm currently working on Voodoo Kiss, which is the third book in the Ancient Legends series following A Job From Hell and Doomed. Voodoo Kiss is going to have a huge plot with lots of dark magic, deceit and danger.

How long have you been writing? And who or what inspired you to write?
I've been writing ever since I could read. My biggest inspiration has been Tolkien followed by Anne Rice. The Interview with the Vampire is the one book that inspired me to write a novel. I've also read every work by Kafka and am a huge fan of dark literature, which reflects in my work.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Absolutely. I'm always happy to provide a review copy if a reader or reviewer contacts me.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books?
I usually come up with a title before writing the book or even before knowing what the book's going to be about. I design my covers based on the genre and the main element of the book. Cover design is my favourite part of publishing. I could do that for hours a day.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
I try not to do that but I guess as a writer we're highly inspired by the people and situations around us. The only book that was inspired by my life is The Divorce Club, though a huge chunk of the plot was made up. All the other books were just a figment of my imagination, or so I think. From the Ancient Legends series, Aidan is the only character that exists in real life. He's a very famous rock star and his identity shall forever remain hidden.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I actually adore eBooks and don't really buy print editions any more. The reason is that eBook readers offer so many more advantages than print books, and let's not forget that we're actually saving trees and helping the environement by choosing not to waste paper.

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
Definitely The Hobbit followed by The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I must've read them countless times. There's something about Tolkien's ability to create setting that fascinates me. He's a master of storytelling with an astonishing ability for world building. I'd love to have his way with words.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst book to movie transfer?
I guess it depends on the book and how intricate the plot is. If it follows a clear story line then it's likely to transfer well. I don't really have a favourite or worst book to movie transfer because I'm a huge movie fan in general and usually like most of the films I watch. If I really had to go with a favourite I'd say Gone with the Wind and The Two Towers.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I'm currently reading Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier. I've always enjoyed her work and missed out on reading her latest novel when it was published last year, so I recently got the eBook but I'm only on page 20 or so.

Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
Some readers have complained that A Job From Hell has a lot of plot in it. I agree that the book's quite long at 95,000 words so if I could change anything I'd probably turn it into two books.

What do you think about book trailers?
Oh, gosh, I love book trailers, both watching and creating them. I always go to trailerspy.com to check out new submissions. I also have my own book trailer channel on Youtube at youtube.com/JaydeScottBooks

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Whoever tells you what you write is not good enough, don't ever listen to them. Work on your craft and don't give up. It might look like a long way to go but if you remain focused and determined you'll get where you want to be one day. And this doesn’t just apply to writing but to everything else in life.

Your blog details?
I do have a blog at jayde-scott.blogspot.com

Your web site?
Unfortunately, after almost a year I'm still working on it.

Your facebook page?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Official-Jayde-Scott-Fanpage/184687468220935

Your Twitter details?
JaydeScottBooks

Thankyou for taking the time to take part in this Author Interview and allowing us a glimpse into your world of writing. I hope you share this interview with your friends.
Thank you so much. It was my pleasure.


No comments:

Post a Comment