Wednesday 17 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - M. EDWARD MCNALLY

M. Edward McNally is the author of Sable End part of the Norothian Cycle Series among other titles.

1.What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now? 

I'm M. Edward ("Ed") McNally, born in NC, grew up along I-35 northbound (KS, IA, MN), now dwelling on the outskirts of Phoenix, AZ, where the scorpions and the javelinas play.

2.What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?

I am writing an epic fantasy series (The Norothian Cycle), two books up and the third in September (fingers crossed).  Rather than a summary, here's twenty words:  Tilda, muskets, magic, samurai, dragons, devils, demons, lamia, politics, economics, exiles, heirs, dwarf, gnome, wizard, shukenja, ninja, money, Tilda. (yep, I said Tilda twice) ;-)

3.Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series? 

Vol. III is being edited, Vol. IV is being written.

4.How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write? 

When I was in third grade, a teacher sent a poem I wrote to the Kansas City Star newspaper, and they published it.  My name in print, I was hooked. 

5.Do you gift books to readers to do reviews? 

Absolutely.

6.How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?

The titles come to me as I am writing (first three are The Sable City, Death of a Kingdom, The Wind from Miilark).  My cover artist is a lovely resident of Hungary named mimulux.  How cool is social media? ;-)

7.Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you? 

Not directly.  A bit seeps in, I am sure, but I have never tried to do that on purpose.

8.Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
Far too many to name, though I do think almost all modern fantasy, of any sub-genre, still owes a great debt to Tolkien. 

9.Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback? 

I had no interest in an e-reader until getting a Kindle for Christmas. Now I can hardly put it down.

10.What is your favourite book and Why? Have you read it more than once? 

This varies from season to season and day to day.  I will still be reading Tolkien, Orwell, and Thomas Pynchon from now until forever.

11.Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst book to movie transfer? 

Maybe half the time, though I tend to always like the book better, even when the movie is very good.  For giggles, check out Children of Men (PD James book, movie with Clive Owen).  Almost nothing alike, and yet both are really good in their separate mediums.

12.What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)

Several months back I decided I was just going to read my fellow Indies for a little while.  I'm still at it, honestly surprised by just how good a lot of it is, though my TBR list is now starkly terrifying.

13.Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish? 

My Dad loved all Tom Clancy's books when I was young, so I tried a couple.  They were fine, though as each seemed to be the same story again and again, I lost interest.  Never went back to read more of them.

14.Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?

Check out the hashtag #Eclective on Twitter.  Really, really interesting peeps there, across all genres.

15.Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be? 

Named a minor character Emnaketetha.  That is agony to type the more she gets involved in the story, probably should have gone with "Sue" or "Babs."

16.What do you think about book trailers? 
   
Just totally personally, I tend to find them a little tedious.  Seems like using one medium to advertise to people who inherently prefer another medium. Also, as a 21st Century American, I see plenty of ads plastered over everything without having to go look for more to watch in my spare time.

17.What piece of advice would you give to a new writer? 
   
Take all advice with aplomb.  Then do what you know you gotta do.

18.Do you or would you ever use a pen name? 
    
I am M. Edward McNally, now and forever.

Where can readers follow you?
   
Twitter: @medwardmcnally

Your blog / web site?
   
Under construction (beware falling rocks) but moving toward a resource where readers can find maps, glossary, histories, etc. about the world of the Norothian Cycle.http://sablecity.wordpress.com/

Your facebook page?
   
http://www.facebook.com/thesablecity

Your Goodreads author page?
   
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4732892.M_Edward_McNally

And any other information you wish to supply?
   
I have a couple free short story collections on Smashwords at the moment which can be found from the author page:http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/medwardmcnally



Thank you for taking the time out of your writing schedule to do this interview, allowaing us into your world of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment