Thursday 18 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - HEATHER JENSEN


Heather Jenson is the author of Blood and Guitars and she also wrote The Rift.






What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now? 
Heather Jensen. I was born in Price, Utah but I live in Southern Utah now.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say? 
My latest novel is Blood And Guitars. In twenty words or less, it's about a vampire who conceals her true nature when a rock star makes her feel alive again.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series? 
Yes. I'm currently writing the second book in the Blood And Guitars series. There will be at least three books in the series, possibly four.

How long have you been writing?
I've been writing for as long as I can remember. I wrote my first full-length novel in high school.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews? 
Absolutely!

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books? 
The title for Blood And Guitars just came to me while I was writing it. It's my favorite title I've had so far. The cover design was done by Ronnel K. Porter. He's absolutely amazing.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you? 
I'm sure some of my experience and personality slips into my characters, but I can't think of anything specific. My characters want what everyone wants, despite the tug of war it creates. We all want to fit in, and be unique at the same time.

Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
Amelia Atwater-Rhodes was the first author I could really relate to. She was published at thirteen, and that really inspired me to keep writing. Also, she writes in the Paranormal Fantasy genre, my personal favorite!

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I've always preferred paperbacks, but I'm actually going to buy a Kindle soon. I just hope I don't drop it in the bathtub while I read. Lol.

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
I love The Princess Bride. I've read it several times. There's just something classic about that story and it makes me laugh every time. I've also read Hawksong, Snakecharm and the other shapeshifter books from Amelia Atwater-Rhodes several times. I even named my son Zane like one of the main characters in the series.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
I think most books have the potential to transfer to movies well. It really just depends on the screenplay, the actors, and the director's vision. I loved the film adaptation of the first Harry Potter book. To me, without the attention to detail and the way they followed the book so closely in that first movie, the other movies wouldn't have been as successful. The worst movie transfer I can think of is Eragon. Chris Paolini created a fantastical world in the series, but a lot of the magic was left out of the movie. I even liked the actors, but the movie just didn't do the book justice.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I'm currently reading Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead in trade paperback. It's part of the Vampire Academy series and I'm a huge fan. I'm also listening to Mortal Coil, the 5th Skulduggery Pleasant book by Derek Landy on my iPod. I love this series, too.

What do you think about book trailers?
I'm a fan of book trailers. I have one for Blood and Guitars that can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDmxkuxvAVk . Since most people spend a decent amount of time watching videos on the internet these days, I think it's a great way to gain exposure for a book and find new readers.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer? 
The best advice that was given to me was to just keep writing. Let that first sentence be as terrible as it wants to be. You can always go back and revise it. Writing is a skill you have to continually improve on. You can't get better if your'e not constantly writing. Also, write for yourself and you'll never be disappointed.

Where can readers follow you?

Your blog details? My official site and blog are at http://www.heatherjensen.info 
Your Twitter details? Follow me at @theedgeofwords . Also, Blood and Guitars has an official hashtag: #bandg
Blood and Guitars e-book available on Smashwords at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/61167

Thank you for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse of your writing world.




Also, keep checking back as there may be a giveaway of Heather's book Blood & Guitar's on this blog soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment