Wednesday 17 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - JO ELLIS

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?  
 Joanne Ellis, I was born in Adelaide, Australia, which is where I currently live.






What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say? 
 Twisted Fire is the sequel to Spoilt, both of which are romance/crime/suspense stories. When Charlotte meets Jared they don’t hit it off straight away until they meet again at Chelsea’s (Charlotte’s sister and character from Spoilt) wedding and sparks fly. As they fall in love an arsonist is murdering women and Jared becomes involved in the investigation. A series of misunderstandings tear the lovers apart before Charlotte becomes caught in the killers crosshair. Just like all my stories – it is an adult fairy-tale.


Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?  
I have plans for many new books!  I’ve just finished another draft of the third in the series Womaniser and just started editing the fourth. I have two others waiting for editing and a few not finished... so lots in the works at the moment.


How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write? 
 I’ve been writing for nearly four years so I’m fairly new at it all. What inspires me? Lots of things, an image, a scene in my head... not sure entirely... I just know when the muse is calling I have to write.


Do you gift books to readers to do reviews? 
 I certainly do.


How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?  
The title usually comes with the outline or plot notes. I don’t think I’ve ever started a story without one. Once again, these seem to pop into my head... not sure how really. The covers I designed and I wanted to find a theme within them with the main female character on the cover.


Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you? 
 If I have based a character on anyone I know it was unintentional! Some events do give me ideas for storylines but to be honest most of it is imagination.
Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?  Paullina Simons. The Bronze Horseman is simply fantastic.


Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
  If you asked me this a few months ago I would have said paperback... but I got a kindle for my birthday so now I’m ebooks all the way.


What is your favourite book and Why?
 Have you read it more than once? As above The Bronze Horseman and its two follow-on stories in The Bridge to Holy Cross and The Summer Garden. I have read them more times than I can count. I also bought TBH on ebook when I have it in paperback so I can read it whenever the urge strikes.


Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst book to movie transfer?  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t. My favourite would have to be The Lovely Bones. Though a bit was changed in the transfer to the movie, I still feel the essence of the book was captured which doesn’t always happen.


What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback) I’m currently reading two ebooks... Get Lenin by Robert Craven which I’m taking my time with to savour it because it is excellent and Six Weeks by Jessica L Degarmo, because I love her work and owe her a review 


Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish? 
 A few but it is rare for me to not finish a book. As for a book I will never read... I will try anything once but not sure I would ever read Harry Potter... (ducks for cover).

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them? 
 Loads! As a writer I have a network of ‘writer’ friends so the list is endless. There are many great books by my publisher Night Publishing worth checking out. Why should we watch for them? There is a goldmine of writers out there that may not be lucky enough to go through traditional publishing but have are published through small/indie publishers or self publishing. The less known the writer the cheaper there ebooks are too, like mine 


Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be? 
 Not that I can think of! I find I’m changing more in my latest books as I learn more.


What do you think about book trailers?
  I made one for Spoilt and I’m not sure whether it really made much difference. I don’t mind them but I’m not sure it would influence me to buy either way.


What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?  
Keep trying. Practice, lots of practice and listen to the advice of others.


Do you or would you ever use a pen name?  
I do actually have a pen name which I use for paranormal and erotic romance. I have one book published under the name Violet Jones titled American Girl. It is a girl/girl erotic romance and have a paranormal romance coming out soon.




Where can readers follow you?

Your blog details? My blog is on my website titled A Few Random Thoughts
Your web site ? www.joanneellis.net and www.violetjones.weebly.com
Your facebook page? Once again I have two! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spoilt/114615035251221 and http://www.facebook.com/pages/Violet-Jones-Author/131851140240798
Your Goodreads author page? http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4163137.Joanne_Ellis
Your Twitter details? @JoWritesRomance



Thank you for taking the time to do this interview allowing us a glimpse of your world of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment