Wednesday 17 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - STEPHANIE HADDAD

Stephanie Haddad is the author of A Previous Engagement.

 What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?  
My name is Stephanie Haddad (nee Canton) and I was born in Buffalo, NY.  Currently, I live in Burlington, MA.
What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?   
My latest (and first) novel is entitled "A Previous Engagement." To summarize, it's a story about missed chances between two lifelong friends. Christian and Tessa have always been special to each other but never understood just how much. 


Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series? 
I'm putting the finishing touches on two more contemporary romance novels as we speak. While none of my titles are connected in a strict series, there are definitely character crossovers from book to book. I like to leave little treats for my readers, so you may recognize even some minor characters from another one of my books.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write? 
I've been writing since I could aim a pen at paper. I inherited a deep love of books from my mother, who always encouraged me to use my imagination to craft my own stories. Even today, she's still the first person to read my latest book or short story.


Do you gift books to readers to do reviews? 
I hold a one-day sales every so often to give free copies to reviewers. Of course, I encouraged reviewers to contact me directly for a code or mailed copy anytime.
How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books? 
Sometimes the title comes to me before the plot is even outlined. Other times, I let it emerge as I'm writing. I go with my gut on titles and am proud to say that I have, so far, named all my books myself.  My covers are designed by my good friend Emily Sam Rubenstein, a graphic designer who has a similar eye to my own but boatloads more talent.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?  
I stay away from basing characters on real people in general, just because I'd hate to insult anyone.  Occasionally, I use a friend's or acquaintance's name in some way but that doesn't mean they're the character.  Still, some of my side comments, quotes, or personality traits come from real people I know. They're always thrilled to see these little "homages" scattered throughout my work.


Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing? 
I've always written with my own voice but reading Kristan Higgins inspired me to keep going. A contemporary romance author with a USA Today bestseller title and two RITA awards to her credit, Higgins has shown me that hard work pays off, moms can be writers during nap time, and there's a market for writers with a quirky sense of humor out there.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback? 

I'm a little obsessed with books and I love all three for different reasons. Hardcovers because they make that satisfying crack when you open them. Paperbacks because I can hold them in one hand to read when I'm cooking or feeding the baby. Ebooks because they never collect dust!


What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once? 
My favorite book is "The Other Boleyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory. Not only do I love Gregory's masterful retelling of this story from a new perspective, but I've always been interested in Henry VIII's reign, wives, and life.  That era captivates my imagination more than any other, so this book was the perfect one to catch my attention.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
This is a tough one, because I really believe the book is always better. It's important to remember, though, that movies have different rules to follow than books do, so in editing a book to movie format, changes always have to be made.  If you view a transferred movie with that in mind, it's easier to stomach some of the big edits!  Still, I'm not a fan of "The Other Boleyn Girl" movie just because I love that book so much!

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I'm currently reading "Instiable" by Meg Cabot in hardcover format for my book club.  Cabot's another inspiring author with a great sense of humor so I'm enjoying this book as much as all her others.  It's a great modernization of the "Dracula" story with plenty of Cabot's trademark flair.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
I tried and failed to read "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by Seth Grahame-Smith. I loved the concept but just couldn't handle the gimmick in practice.  A clever idea that has caught much attention, but it just wasn't for me.  I'll still to the Jane Austen original.

Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
I made myself shut off the Editor Mode because I know if I thought about it, I'd have tons of things to add to my book!  Instead, I'm shifting gears to the one's that are still actively being edited so I don't lose sleep over what I "should have done" in my published novel.

What do you think about book trailers?
I haven't done one yet, but I don't know that they're really necessary.  For me, reading a book summary or the first couple of pages has always been enough to determine if it's a story I might like to read or not.  I tend to ignore them if they're available on an author's site and skip right to the summary.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
I'm not the first person to say this, but the best thing a new writer can do is keep writing. I don't think there's a magical formula to finishing a book or getting it published. Too many writers get ahead of themselves and start thinking about what the cover will look like, what movie stars they want to appear in the film adaptation, or whether or not they'll translate their book into Japanese... all before they've finished Chapter One! And others (myself included), spend so much time trying to perfect the first sentence, paragraph, or chapter, that they never make it beyond to actually finish the story.  Just keep writing and handle the details later.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
I write under my real name now, but I'm planning to use a pen name when I release my erotica novels next year.  For two different types of novels and two separate audiences, I think it's best to keep my titles filed under different names. 

Where can readers follow you?

Your blog details?  My blog is part of my website at www.stephaniehaddad.com/fiction/
Your web site ? (see above)
Your facebook page? Yes, you can like Stephanie Haddad, Author or my novel A Previous Engagement
Your Goodreads author page? Yes, I've just set up my Goodreads author page here: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5033547.Stephanie_Haddad
Your Twitter details? You can follow me on Twitter @StephieHaddad 


Thank you for taking the time to do this interview,giving us a glimpse into your writing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment