Saturday 13 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - SHALINI BOLAND

Shanlini Boland wrote Outside, and Hidden (The Marchwood Series)


  1. What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Shalini Boland, born in London, but I now live on the South Coast of England.

  1. What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
OUTSIDE is a post-apocalyptic romance thriller. Riley leaves the safety of The Perimeter to hunt her sister's killer across a decimated Britain.

  1. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I’m currently writing books 2 and 3 to my other series Hidden (Marchwood Vampire Series). When I’ve finished those I’ll carry on with the sequel to Outside.

  1. How long have you been writing? and who or what inspired you to write?
I’ve been writing novels since 2004, but didn’t get serious about publishing them until this year. I had an idea for a great ending to a book and that’s what inspired me to start writing.

  1. How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
I initially come up with an idea. Then I search for an image to go with that idea. Finally my graphic designer friend, Simon Tucker, transfers my image into a super duper book cover.

  1. Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
There’s no single author. I must have read hundreds of books over the years and I guess I’ve been influenced by all of them to some degree.

  1. Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I recently got a Kindle and it’s great! But I don’t prefer one format over the other. I’d probably choose to buy ebooks over print books now, purely for convenience.

  1. What is your favourite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?
The Bronze Horzeman trilogy by Paullina Simons. It’s a sweeping epic historical romance set in Leningrad during WW2. I just love the emotion and atmosphere of it. I’ve read it twice and I’ll probably read it again.

  1. Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst book to movie transfer?
Some do and some do not! It all depends on the vision of the director, the strength of the script and the quality of the actors. There’s nothing more disappointing than a bad movie adaptation. It can ruin the magic of a book. But when it’s done well – it’s amazing.
Best movie transfer – Let The Right One In
Worst – The Golden Compass (beautiful but lacked the soul of the book)

  1. What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I’m reading The Secret River by Kate Grenville. It’s brilliantly written, interesting and a great story.

  1. Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
I’m usually pretty persistent and hate to leave a book part way through. There are a few where I’ve thought: well that was a waste of time.

  1. Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
Here are a couple I’m enjoying: Johanna Frappier for her feisty characters and great stories. And Suzy Turner for intrigue, mystery and adventure.


Shalini’s Links:

OUTSIDE is available from the following places:
Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/75141

Thank you for taking the time to do this interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment