Friday 26 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - TERRON JAMES


  1. What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now? My name is Terron James. I was born and raised in Kearns, Utah, and now live in Tooele, Utah, with my wife and four sons.
  2. What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say? My debut novel is INSIGHT. Overall, it is about a young man’s struggle to finalize his interpretation of right and wrong.
  3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series? INSIGHT is the first book of the 4-book series, BEHOLDERS, with a prequel also in the making. My goal is to have the second book completed by the end of 2011.
  4. How long have you been writing? Who or what inspired you to write? I have been writing poetry since I was in grade school, but INSIGHT this is the first novel I have written. I started writing it in August of 2008 for two main reasons. First, I’m pained to see decreased levels of reading among our youth and wanted to write a novel which would spark that interest and skill in them again. Reading is such an important part of everyday life and nobody should feel like they are unintelligent because they struggle to read. The second reason I started writing was to create a fantasy novel where the abilities and limitations of the magic are well-defined. I am one of the biggest Tolkien fans there is, but while reading The Lord of the Rings masterpiece, I have often found myself asking “How?” and “Why didn’t he/she just do this?”
  5. Do you gift books to readers to do reviews? On occasion, if I am tempted enough.
  6. How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books? The titles of the books in the series were some of the hardest things I had to create. I spent two years changing my mind over and over again until I felt the names finally fit perfectly.I didn’t worry about the design of the cover until I finished writing the first rough draft of INSIGHT. By then it was an easy decision to make. The photograph was taken by my skilled brother-in-law of my nephew in Twin Falls, Idaho, and the cover was created by one of my closest friends, who is also a fantastic graphic artist. You can check out their portfolios here: www.erikaunephoto.com and www.humsco.com
  7. Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you? Yes, actually, on many occasions—although I admit I haven’t had any run-ins with an uncontrollable magical power (unfortunately). Most of the names of characters and places were created from somebody I know. All of the names of my nieces and nephews are in the book in some shape or form, along with many other friends and family members.
  8. Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing? That is a tricky one. My story was influenced by many fantasy and sci-fi novels, but I don’t attribute my writing style to any author in particular. It’s just a mutation of my inherent knowledge of Mental Grammar.
  9. Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback? Hardcover, and perfect bound whenever I can get it. Dust covers drive me batty.
  10. What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once? My favorite book is The Return of the King, third book in The Lord of the Rings. I enjoy it for many different reasons, one of which was because the ending was fully resolved. I finished the series feeling completely satisfied. I’ve read the entire series many, many times, and plan to read it many more.
  11. Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst book to movie transfer? I think books have the potential to transfer well to movies, but I think most directors have yet to realize how. They always seem to change really important scenes in the movies. For example, to a person who has never read the Harry Potter series, I would ask this question. Why was it so important for Malfoy to sneak the deatheaters into Hogwarts in movie 6? What purpose did they serve once they entered the school? As far as I recall, the only thing they did in the movie was break a big stained-glass window.
  12. What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback) I am currently reading The Vivatera, a fantastic YA fantasy novel by one of my author friends, Candace Thomas (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8850243-the-vivatera). I am about 1/3 through and so far, it is a great debut novel!
  13. Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish? I know I will never read a harlequin romance novel. They don’t appeal to me in the least
  14. Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be? Not really. I worked overtime on INSIGHT for 3 years. I know I won’t ever feel like it’s finished, but I had to cut the cord at some point.
  15. What do you think about book trailers? I think they have a place, but I have yet to see one that really impresses me. I’m in the process of creating one right now. We’ll see how it turns out.
  16. What piece of advice would you give to a new writer? Excuse me while I quote a little Harry Potter *ahem* “CONSTANT VIGILANCE!” Also, you need to come equipped with a thick hide. Don’t expect everyone to love your writing, and don’t expect to finish it overnight (if you have any hopes of it turning out good).
  17. Do you or would you ever use a pen name? Absolutely not. I LOVE my name!

Where can readers follow you?

Your blog details? http://terronjames.blogspot.com/
Your web site ? www.TerronJames.com
Your facebook page? www.facebook.com/groups/249484916800/
Your Goodreads author page? http://www.goodreads.com/terron_james
Your Twitter details? username: terron_james

And any other information you wish to supply? I encourage readers to take a moment to read through my services. I am very proactive about educating our youth about the value of literature. http://terronjames.blogspot.com/p/services.html

--
Terron James
Author of BEHOLDERS
Inspiring an unwavering passion for reading across the globe, one community at a time.
Cell: 435-224-4286


Thank You for taking the time out from your busy writing schedule to take part in this interview, allowing us, the readers, to glimpse your world of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment