Wednesday 17 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - CINDY YOUNG TURNER

Cindy Young Turner wrote Thief of Hope.




What is your name,where were you born, and where do you live now?
Cindy Young-Turner. I was born in Lowell, Massachusetts and currently living in Maryland.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise in less than 20 words what would you say?
The title is Thief Of Hope. It's about a pickpocket who becomes entangled in the fight against oppressive society and the dangerous magic of the faery folk.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is it part of a series?
Yes I am currently writing a sequel titled Thief Of Destiny.

How long have you been writing? and what or who inspired you to write?
I feel like I've been writing most of my life! I knew I wanted to be a writer when I was about ten. I've always been a big reader, so that inspired me, and my first novel, which I wrote when I was ten or eleven, was based on my favourite Star Wars characters. I still have it and it will never see the light of day.

Do you gift books to readers to review?
Yes

How do you come up with the title and the cover designs for your book/books? Who designed the cover of your book/books?
I am bad with titles, but this one just came to me.Its a play on words because the protagonist (the pickpocket) lives in a town called Last Hope and the book is really about finding and holding on to hope. My publisher Crescent Moon Press, has some very talented artists. Patricia Schmitt designed the cover and I had input into the design.

Have you ever based characters on people you know, or based events on things that have happened to you?
Some characters have elements of people I know, but they're all fictional. The events are all from my imagination.


Is there a certain author that has influenced you in writing?
I love Edgar Allan Poe, HP Lovecraft, JRR Tolkien,Ray Bradbury. I'm not sure they influenced my writing, but I love their writing styles.


Which form of book do you prefer, ebook, paperback or hardcover?
Definitely paperback. I just got a kindle but I'll never give up my paperbacks.


What is your favourite book and why? Have you read it more than once?
I don't think I could choose just one. A few favourites are Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, The Mists Of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman, On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I wish I had time to read books more than once, but there are too many on my to be read list.


Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is your favourite/worst book to movie transfer? 
Some transfer well. Peters Jacksons Lord Of The Rings Trilogy was amazing, what fantasy movies should be. On the other hand, the film version of A Golden Compass was so awful I almost turned it off.


What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it?What format is it ? (ebook, paperback,hardcover)
We Wish To Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families : Stories From Rwanda by Philip Gourevitch (paperback) ..... I've been reading it quite a while in short pieces because it's very intense. Just started Eternal Investigations by Nancy M Griffis (paperback) a fun, paranormal read.


Is there a book you know you will never read?Or one you have tried but just couldn't finish?
I can't think of any. I don't get as much time to read as I'd like so I'm picky about the books I do read.


Are there any authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? And why should we watch out for them?
My publishers Crescent Moon Press, has some amazing authors who write paranormal, fantasy and SF.


Is there anything in your book/books that you would change now if you could? And if so what would you change?
I think I could tinker with the book forever and still not be completely happy with it. At some point, you just have to let go.


What do you think about book trailers?
They're cool. I haven't done one yet its on my to do list.


What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Keep writing and reading and don't give up. and have fun with it. Publishing is a tough business, so you have to love what you're doing.


Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
No, I don't feel the need to.


Where can readers follow you?
Your blog details? http://cindyyoungturner.com/blog/
Your web site ? http://cindyyoungturner.com
Your facebook page? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cindy-Young-Turner/206268086074718
Your Goodreads author page? http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4882750.Cindy_Young_Turner





Thank you for taking the time to do this interview and give us a glimpse into your world as a writer.









2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me! I appreciate the support you're giving to new authors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. I just got a Kindle too but I still love my paperbacks. Love book title and premise. :)

    ReplyDelete