Tuesday 23 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - LEONARD D. HILLEY II

Leonard D. Hilley is the author of the Darkness Series of books.






What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Leonard D. Hilley II, author of the Darkness Series.  I was born in Middletown, OH, lived in Alabama for over thirty years, and currently reside in Flatwoods, KY.

Do you have plans for a new book? I am currently working on the first book in another series. 

How long have you been writing?  I’ve been writing fiction for most of my life.  I wrote my first novel when I was 11 years old. 

Who or what inspired you to write?  Roger Zelazny first impressed me when I was a teenager.  After meeting my wife, she introduced me to Dean R. Koontz’s novels and reignited my passion for writing.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?  Generally the title evolves as the characters and plot begin to unfold. 

Who designed the Cover of your books?  My wife, Christal, did the current covers.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?  Indirectly I have, but I tend to switch up details so it’s not a carbon copy of the person.  I love science and entomology.  The current novel’s main character is an avid butterfly collector.

Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?  Dean R. Koontz and Roger Zelazny

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback?  I love books in all formats.  I’ve just recently started with Kindle and love it because I have so many books on shelves and stored away that I’m running out of room.

What is your favourite book and Why?  I love Zelazny’s Great Book of Amber (which is actually ten books in one) because of the unique family setup and how they can interact with one another via family Tarot cards that can also be used for portals. 

Have you read it more than once?  I’m working on the third time through.

Do you think books transfer to movies well?  Not well.  And I understand why, too.  My editor and friend, Ann Linden, is currently co-writing the screenplay for Predators of Darkness: Aftermath with me.  The process consisted of taking a 340 page novel and putting it into 120 script.  You lose a lot of story that way but not all can be included, so you hope to get the highlights into the screenplay.

Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?  Steven King’s The Mist was a horrible transfer strictly due to the ending of the movie because it wasn’t true to King’s main character in the novella.

What are you currently reading? Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott.  Are you enjoying it?  Yes.  It is a very informative book on writing and life.  What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)  Paperback

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for?  Trent Zelazny (son of the late Roger Zelazny) has written Fractal Despondency, a dark and creepy novella. 
Why should we watch out for them?  I can’t say that writing is a hereditary trait, but there’s definitely a great gift in Trent’s works.  I look for greater works from him in the future. 

What do you think about book trailers?  I believe there are some very good ones, and this is something I’m considering for my series.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?  Write, write, write.  The more you write the better you will become.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?  Nope

Where can readers follow you?

Your blog details?  http://deimosweb-hilley.blogspot.com/
Your web site ?  http://deimosweb-hilley.blogspot.com/
Your facebook page?
LeonardDHilleyII Author Page
Your Goodreads author page? 
GoodReads Author page
Your Twitter details? @deimosweb

And any other information you wish to supply?
Thank you for the opportunity to allow your followers to learn more about me and my books.






Thank you for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us, the readers a glimpse into your writing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment