Monday 15 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - CAMERON CHAPMAN

Cameron Chapman wrote Aboard The Unstoppable Aerostat Fenris , The Great Healion Race and Internet Famous among other books.



What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?

My name is Cameron Chapman. I was born in New Hampshire and I now live in Vermont (though I spent time in Virginia in between).


What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?

Hold My Hand is about a woman who’s life is upended, forcing her to recreate a life she actually wants.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?

This particular one isn’t part of a series, but I have another book series that’s in the works (The Steam and Steel Chronicles). 


 How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?

I’ve been writing since I was about 7 or 8 years old, twenty years now. I’ve always loved stories, whether they’re books or movies or something else entirely, and I’ve always felt the urge to tell my own stories.


 Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?

I do on occasion. Honestly, if someone asks me if they can get a free copy of one of my books, in exchange for doing a review on Amazon or elsewhere, or because they can’t afford to buy it, I’m likely to give that person a copy. 


How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?

Titles are probably the hardest thing for me to come up with. Sometimes they come from song lyrics, one came from a random title generator online, and others I brainstorm for. As far as covers go, I’m a designer by trade, so I design all of my own cover art, though my husband has done some of the illustrations for my steampunk books.


Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?

I think the people I know and surround myself with definitely influence who my characters become, but I don’t consciously base my characters on any one person, at least personality-wise. I do sometimes base physical appearances on people I’ve seen or people I know.


Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?

There have been tons. Neil Gaiman is probably the biggest influence on my writing. I’ve been reading him since high school. I’m also a huge Jane Austen fan, and I love Stephen King and Philip Pullman. And I love Ayn Rand's work, too.


Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?

I’m an ebook fan now. I have ebook apps on my phone, and I have a Nook Color. I love the portability of it. That being said, I do still buy paperbacks and I have quite an extensive book collection.


What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?

I’m not sure that I could pick just one single favorite book. I’m a fan of so many: Atlas Shrugged, The Dark Tower series, American Gods, Heidi, Pride & Prejudice, The Wilde Women, and there are tons more. Choosing one favorite would be like asking a parent which one of their children they love best. Any book that I love I'll read over and over again.


Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?

Sometimes. It depends on the book, the director, the screenwriter, and honestly, how much input the author has in the moviemaking process. I’m also an aspiring filmmaker, so I have an appreciation for both forms of storytelling. My favorite adaptations would have to be the Harry Potter books, and most of the Jane Austen adaptations. My least favorite would be Stephen King’s Dreamcatcher, but only because they changed so much that was vital to the story and because I loved the book.


What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)

I’m currently reading A Far Country by Daniel Mason in paperback, and The Secret Garden in ebook form. I always have more than one book going at a time.


Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?

I don’t think I’ll ever read any other Dan Brown novels. I read The DaVinci Code, but didn’t really enjoy it. There was one book I started to read ages ago, it was a paperback I picked up in one of those 4-for-3 sales at Barnes & Noble, and it was so bad I stopped reading after about 15 pages and sold it at a yard sale for $.25.


Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?

There are so many incredible indie authors coming out with fantastic books right now. I don’t feel like I can just name one or two.


Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?

Not in any of the books I’ve published. Once I’ve finished a book, it’s done, and I try not to dwell on it anymore. Until I publish, though, I’m constantly reworking things and redoing things.


What do you think about book trailers?

I think they’re a great way to engage with an existing fan base, but they’re not likely to get you many new fans. Mostly because how are people who don’t know about you already even going to see them?


What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Realize that the first thing you write is going to be horrible. The second will be, too. The third might be approaching okay. Start getting feedback from others at that point, and really listen to what more experienced, better authors are telling you. By the fifth book, though, you should be on pretty solid footing. Don’t expect great things before that, though.


Do you or would you ever use a pen name?

I don’t and I haven’t. If I ever write erotica, I will, but only because of my professional work. I honestly wish that when I’d started blogging professionally that I’d used a pen name for that, because I think it sometimes does create some confusion over exactly what I write.




Blog details: http://cameronchapman.com
Web site: http://cameronchapman.com
Your facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/authorcameronchapman
Your Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3096743.Cameron_Chapman
Your Twitter details: http://twitter.com/cameron_chapman



Thank you for taking part in this interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment