Thursday 1 December 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - DINA JAMES




What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
I'm Dina James. I was born in the Southern US and currently live in
Astoria, Oregon on the west coast of the United States.


Did it take a long time to get your first book published?

Commercial (sometimes called "traditional" these days) publishing like I choose to do does take a long time. There are edits and revisions and so on, and that's after querying an agent and getting acceptance and selling the manuscript. From start to finish, the actual writing of a book takes anywhere from three months to a year, and publication sometimes takes another year or so after that. This book (my first), from original short to published novel, took about three years. I have two others contracted that will take less than a year.


Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
Not anymore. I did in the past, but I'm fortunate enough at this point in my life to be able to have professional writing as my only career. 
What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My most recent book is a young adult paranormal novel called All Wounds. A girl finds out she's a doctor for Otherworlders and everybody wants a piece of her. Some more than others.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I'm currently with a small press called Mundania. They're wonderful and I'm very happy with them. I have two more books contracted with them through next year.
How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
I can knock out a rough (called a "zero") draft in about a month or so, depending on how much time I dedicate to it. It's the revision and polishing to get it ready for submission that takes about double that, so from original idea to polished draft, it's around three or four months (again depending on how much time I put into it).


Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
This young adult book was a lot harder for me than my adult writing because I had to remember the character's ages and motivations more. Age-appropriate reactions and so on. For instance, my main character in this book doesn't know how to drive yet, so if I need to get her across town, she has to take a bus or get a ride or something.
 
What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
More of the same. I love my vampires, hellhounds and werewolves!

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I do have plans for more. All Wounds is the first book of my young adult series called Stranger Things. The second one, Time Heals, is scheduled for release in the fall of 2012.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
I can't pick a favorite! *horror* I'd never hear the end of it from my characters! I will admit, though, that I love spending time with my vamp-...er...excuse me, "lost soul," Kyle. He's tall, dark and handsome and I love his wit. I wouldn't go so far as to say he comforts me, but he is pretty awesome to spend time with.


Where do you get your book plot ideas from?
A mail-order warehouse in Nebraska sends me a list every month and I just pick one randomly from it.
Seriously, I'm a writer. Writing is as essential to me as breathing. Anything and everything provides inspiration. A quote in a book, a scene in a movie, the way someone looks at someone else over dinner, a license plate, a bumper sticker, a streetlamp that isn't lit ... anything can be inspiration.
For me, usually, a character walks into my head and introduces himself, and the story comes from that.


 Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
I wouldn't say I read them all. I do read some them, but I don't respond to them, no matter what they say. Responding to reviews, good or bad (and I welcome all input - I can't improve if I don't know what I'm doing wrong/people don't like!), is just not a good idea for a professional writer. It can lead to all sorts of issues, so it's just a good habit to lurk if you do anything at all. Though I will say it's really hard to resist the urge to respond sometimes!


What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
I'd say the toughest one was one I read where the reviewer got really upset that every story in the anthology she was reading had a vampire in it. Um...it's a vampire anthology! It says that right on the cover! Then another reviewer seemed to be confused as to why the guy in the story was drinking blood. Um...because vampires drink blood and he's a vampire? Both of those were really hard for me not to respond to. The best one I've read was one that basically said "OMG this is my new favorite author I will read everything she's ever written and everything she will ever write!" That made me feel really good, and I think of that review when my writing spirits are low.


What do you do to unwind and relax?
I game (World of Warcraft, FPS, d20 tabletop, Munchkin, etc.), and I knit. I really love my yarn.


Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
All the time. I even have a t-shirt that says "Careful or you'll end up in my next novel." It was a gift from a friend.


Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
There are hidden messages and in-jokes and references to random things, but I can't tell you what they are, because that would ruin the "hidden" part.

  
 Is there a certain author that influenced you in writing?
Jean Auel. I've always loved her work.

   
Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
No. My favorite analogy for this (for which I can't take credit - I'd credit the person if I could remember where I read it) is instant coffee. Instant coffee did not kill the coffee industry. It's just another option for people to choose from. Ebooks are hot right now because people are all "Yay, technology! I can have 5,000 books on my eReader!" but I don't think anything will ever totally replace printed books.



 Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
You really want to get me started on the Twilight series? Let's not go there.



What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
I would give them the best advice I was ever given: accuracy lends credibility. If you're writing about something and you're not sure how it works or if it exists or anything at all, make sure you know what you're talking about. If you set your story in a certain time period, and you bring up stuff that isn't around then (no, we didn't have XBoxes in the 80s - we had Atari and Nintendo), you're going to look weird. A little research won't kill you. If you're writing about a known city (like Paris) or object (like the Eiffel Tower), make sure you know where it is if you're going to bring it up. People who read your work will know that the Eiffel Tower is on a specific street in a specific area of town, and if you move it (without justification) or get it wrong, people will notice. Take 5 minutes and Google where things like that are if you're going to reference them. It adds just that much more depth to your story.



Where can readers follow you?


Your blog details?
http://www.dinajames.com/dinablog/
Your web site ? http://www.dinajames.com
Your facebook page? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dina-James-Chronicler-of-the-Paranormal/333654447563
Your Goodreads author page? http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2792373.Dina_James
Your Twitter details?@dinajames
 
And any other information you wish to supply?
I also blog twice a month at the Evil League of Evil Writers website. www.evilleagueofevilwriters.com

No comments:

Post a Comment