Sunday 4 December 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - SUZAN BATTAH





1.                  What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Suzan Battah, born and now living in Sydney Australia

2.             Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Yes, without question I’ve been writing since I was young but I always thought I would be a Teacher.

3.             When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
When I completed my first novel in 1999, that’s when I determined I was a writer.

4.             Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
Yes, the market is very competitive so I decided to self-publish and have no regrets taking this path.

5.             Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I work as an Executive assistant for 4 male bosses and a really fun team of people, they’re great.

6.             What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My first book Mad About the Boy has just been released, out now and available in paperback and ebook format. A romantic comedy with drama and raw emotion as well as lively multicultural characters.
My second novel, BaSatai: Outside In is an edgy Urban Fantasy novel set in a parrallel world. A blood curse is holding the BaSatai in constant uncertainty. Armani born with the curse doesn’t believe she is the one.  When her Guardian an the Elite BaSatai Warriors arrive on Earth to take her home to H-trae where they can offer her better protection as the curse ripens, she refuses to fall into line and begin training.

7.             Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I publish on Smashwords, Createspace and Amazon Kindle.

8.             How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
It normally takes me about 6months to a year from the beginning.

9.             Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
They are all the same, I love to write so words flow freely, that’s not to say I get it right at the beginning but rewriting and perfecting those words is what makes a great story.

10.           What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I will continue to write in both Contemporary Romance and also YA Urban Fantasy, Regency Romance and I have a Thriller that is a WIP.

11.           Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I would love to continue with a Mad About the Boy Series and write about Ben’s story next. It wasn’t initially written with the idea of a series but due to popularity of the book I’m looking to write a second in the Mad About You style.

12.           What genre would you place your books into?
All are based on romance but many have different styles and genres so they all have individual places.

13.           Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
They are all my babies, so I love them each equally but definitely Mad About the Boy will have a special place.

14.           Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
Yes in Mad About the Boy Boric is my favorite character he is someone who I want as my friend, he’s lovable, honest and blunt.

15.           How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
Since I was about 14 I think I’ve been writing. Johanna Lindsey, Stephanie Laurens are authors that I love and inspire me.

16.           Where do you get your book plot ideas from?
Everywhere in general. Life, dreams and observations.

17.           Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?
I haven’t been able to yet, so I currently release and then send out requests for reviews.

18.           Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
All books are given to reviewers free of charge.

19.           Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Yes of course, I love to read feedback it makes me a better writer.

20.           What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
I have been honestly receiving some great reviews but I have also received critical reviews. I take the good with the bad and hope to make myself learn. The best reviews come from people I don’t know personally who rave about how much they love reading my novel and spent the whole night reading it. That’s why I love being a writer!

21.           How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
I have ideas of what my novel cover should be like and because I’m selfpublished I have the creative license to go ahead with it. Sam Wall www.samwall.com a UK artist did the cover art for Mad About the Boy and she did a great job, very pleased.

22.           How do you market/promote your books?
I use social media, CoS Productions for promotion and Booktrailers, interviews, giveaways, reviews and just talk about the book.

23.           What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
Good writing and an honest good story will make a book a bestseller. Once it is out there regardless of if it is self published or publish in the traditional way a great story is what readers want.

24.           Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
On the odd occasion, it’s rare these days but I use music for inspiration.

25.           What do you do to unwind and relax?
Read of course, listen to music or sleep because I work long hours writing and a fulltime job.

26.           Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
I’ve used people’s names but not actual situations. If something has happened to me and I want to use it in the book I embellish and change the situation into it’s own unique scene.

27.           Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
All those for me it doesn’t matter but I do love paperbacks, it’s nice to hold a book in my hands and read.

28.           Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
Some books transfer well some not so good. Worst Book to movie was Shopaholic, I loved the book but was not so impressed with how they did the movie. All the British humor disappeared. And Luke was not as crisp as in my mind in the movie. I wish they could do it over again. They Americanised it and that took away from the whole point Sophie Kinsella was representing in the book.

29.           Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
They could, who knows :)

30.           Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing? 
I believe they should be encouraged to read more widely and write more freely.

31.           What do you think about book trailers?
Love book trailers if done right. Booktrailers are a way into visualising a books idea. Here’s where you can view mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qej5s7TatlA

32.           What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Love what you do and write and keep writing.

33.           Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
Suzan Battah is my pen name

Where can readers follow you?

Your blog details? http://suzanbattah.blogspot.com/
Your web site ? http://www.suzanbattah.com/
Your facebook page? http://www.facebook.com/suzan.battah
Your Goodreads author page? Suzan Battah
Your Twitter details? @suzanbattah 



Thankyou for taking the time out from your busy schedule to take part in this interview. I look forward to reading and reviewing your book when it arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment