Wednesday 7 December 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - TAMMY BLACKWELL



1. What is your name, where were you born, and where do you live now?


My name is Tammy Blackwell, or Miss Tammy as most people refer to me. I’m a born and bred Kentucky girl. For you Brits who might not be super-familiar with the United States, Kentucky is known for horses, bourbon, and basketball. Sadly, I do not enjoy any of these things. (Well, basketball can be mildly amusing come March, but I’m not a true fan.)

2. What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?

Destiny Binds: Girl. Hot boy. Another hot boy. Overprotective brother. Werewolves. Sock monkey. Will continue in Time Mends, due out January 2012.

3. Did you always want to be a writer? If not, what did you want to be?


When I was seven I wanted to be a country-western star like Dolly Parton, but even then I wanted to write my own music. (You should hear the song a little Miss Tammy wrote entitled “Bygones”.) Once I realized I had no musical talent whatsoever, I turned my sights on novel writing. Academically, I’ve pursued other things, but writing has always been a dream of mine.

4. Do you work another job as well as your writing work?


I have the best day job on the planet. I work as the Young Adult Services Coordinator for my local library system. We have three branches that I’m responsible for. I work on YA collection development and programming, and I get to use my college degree (in Integrated Strategic Communications) by working on the advertisements and press releases for the library system as a whole. I honestly couldn’t be happier. I’m surrounded by books all day and get a chance to hang out with some of the coolest teens in the world. In fact, the only reason Destiny Binds exists is because of my YA group!

5. How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finish writing it?


I’m not sure there is a definite answer on that one. The first draft of Destiny Binds took me nine months, and then I spent about five month revising it. With Time Mends, the second book in the Timber Wolves Trilogy, I wrote the first draft during NaNoWriMo, which means I cranked it out in thirty days. Of course, it was crap and I had to rewrite the entire thing, which took about six months. The editing process was quicker this time, though. In all, the revisions should take me about two months. Hopefully, I can cut down on that overall time even more with Fate Succumbs.

6. What can we expect from you in the future? More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

Well, first I have to survive the original trilogy. After that, I’m considering more books set in the Shifter/Seer world, but with different narrators. I love the supernatural genre, but I do want to eventually branch out, maybe even dip into the adult market some day.

7. What genre would you place your books in?

I would say my books are a steampunk infused dystopian filled with Amish vampires.

No, wait. None of those things are in my book. Darn it. Maybe that’s the reason I’m not a millionaire.

Actually, this is a really good question. Most people call Destiny Binds a supernatural romance or paranormal (which I believe implies “romance”). I think of it more as an urban fantasy since, for me, the book series is more about Scout’s transition from awkward teen to the woman she may (or may not) become than a love story. 


8. Do you have a favourite character from your books? Why are they your favourite?

Ack. You can’t ask that! It’s like asking which of my cardigans I love best. I simply cannot choose. Cannot. Will not. You’re not going to make me.

OK, I give. It’s Angel. She’s just so fun to write, and I love how she forces Scout to react. 


9. Do you read all the reviews of your book?


I know I shouldn’t, but I do. I can’t help it! I just have to know. Luckily, the reviews for Destiny Binds have been very positive. I love it when I’m having a bad day and stumble upon a great review. It’s even better for mood elevation than chocolate! 

10. What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller?

For me, a good book grabs your attention and holds on tight. I like books with a strong voice, lots of witty dialogue, and enough romance and action to keep me interested. And never underestimate the value of easy-to-read. Yes, I can read and understand all those deep, important books, but I don’t really have the time, energy, or desire. Plus, hot boys are always helpful.

11.  Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?

Not to completely undo that “this is a work of fiction” bit in the front of the book, but yes. While none of the characters are exact replicas of anyone I know, some traits are borrowed. For example, my best friend, who is much like a brother after 25+ years, is not only insanely more charismatic than I, but also five weeks to the day older. But, unlike Jase, he is pretty much the opposite of an athletic womanizer. As for events, I’ve never met a Shifter, but I did break my butt once.

Where can readers follow you?

Blog: misstammywrites.blogspot.com
Facebook: facebook.com/MissTammyJean
Goodreads author page: Tammy Blackwell
Twitter: Miss_Tammy (<-Best place to find me! I love Twitter!)

No comments:

Post a Comment