Friday 9 December 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - JULIE RIEMAN DUCK







  1. What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Julie Rieman Duck… born in Los Angeles County and now living in the OC (aka Orange County, California).
 
  1. Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Not always. I started as an artist. Loved drawing more than life itself. Then I discovered writing in Third Grade and that was it for me. I knew.
 
  1. Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I write all the time! By day, I am a marketing copywriter. I’ve also been an editor, which helps my writing.
 
  1. Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I self-published A Place In This Life with the encouragement of my literary agent, Christine Witthohn, on Amazon.com and Smashwords. She wanted it out there so people could read and experience my writing.
 
  1. Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
A Place In This Life was hard because it was based on an actual experience I had as a teenager (minus all the good bits I added when I wrote the book). In researching information for the story, I found that the actual person I knew who had leukemia died a year after we met. This was devastating, as he had so much life and wanted to live.
 
  1. What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I have two more YA edgy books on submission with publishers – SWELL and little rooms. Right now, I am writing a more adult book that pushes the envelope of anything that could be considered YA.
 
  1. Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
Hands-down, it’s SWELL. This book is so powerful and messed up… the flash-forwards that meet the present in the middle of the book suck you in. The deviance of the character Hillman is magnetic, and the tragedy that befalls everyone because of addiction a real eye-opener. I wrote it in six weeks and missed it terribly when I was done.
 
  1. How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
Since the third grade, when I decided to write and illustrate a book called Kittyland. At the time, I also discovered the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder and all the good things written by Judy Blume. That was it for me. I had to write.
 
  1. Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?
Beta readers are vital to my writing process. I have had a few good ones that pushed me through problems and areas that needed improvement. My agent reads everything I write as well.
 
  1. Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Absolutely – I want people to feel what the book intends for them to feel. It’s not about money or fame – it’s about sharing with others that people have lived similar lives and gotten through them just fine.
 
  1. What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
I’m still gathering reviews and have A Place In This Life out there with a few reviewers (with you, too!). One review stunned me because the reviewer didn’t expect to like the story and was so moved by it. That is what I want my stories to do to the reader.
 
 
  1. Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
Every character in my stories is based off of the people I’ve known. They are not verbatim, but hold certain important aspects that drive the story. The events in many of my stories are from personal experience or the experiences of people I’ve known. Can’t make this stuff up! Well, you can but it’s more powerful if you’ve lived it.
 
  1. Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
Yes. I have a young son who is expected to read each night and keep a log of it. We read constantly and go to the library. It’s a way of life in school and at home. I’m glad – reading is so important.
 
  1. Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
Oh yes! Erin Lange has a book called Butter coming out in 2012 that is one of the best YA I’ve read in a long time. I beta read for her during NaNoWriMo two years ago because of the story’s title. Anything with “butter” in it catches my interest!
 
  1. What do you think about book trailers?
I wrote a great post on this in my blog – Book Trailers – Should You Hitch One To Your Platform? I think they are fun and motivational. I tried to make one for A Place In This Life but have hit a technical glitch.
 
 
 
  1. What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
When you write your story, don’t follow the rules – write to please yourself. Then, when you’re ready to share your story, definitely follow the rules and please others into reading your story.
 
Where can readers follow you?

Your blog details? 
www.julieduck.wordpress.com
Your web site ? 
www.julieduck.com
Your facebook page? 
Look up A Place In This Life on Facebook and like it. 
J
Your Goodreads author page? 
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5231982.Julie_Rieman_Duck
Your Twitter details? 
www.twitter.com/skodobah
And any other information you wish to supply?
I do this because I have to. It’s a part of my heart and soul to share with others (especially teenagers) what I’ve experienced and how to get through it. We are all in this together.

Thankyou for taking the time from your busy schedule to take part in this interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment