Friday 2 December 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - TAWNY STOKES




          
        
           Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be? I actually wanted to be a marine biologist when I was a teen.  I had no idea that I could pursue a career in writing.  That wasn’t presented as an option to me waaaaaaaaay back then.  I didn’t pursue a writing career until I was 28.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work? I worked part time at a bookstore for years while writing.  It wasn’t until I got my 2nd book deal under my adult fiction name that I quit.  I now write full time, but as well I’m a fulltime single parent and I also homeschool my daughter. So that’s like 3 jobs right there. J

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?Demon Whisperer is a lightning quick ride through the world of demons and exorcisms, oh and zombies    too. Everything’s better with zombies, right?


  What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a  different genre?More Caden Butcher books for sure, maybe a sequel to Static, and hopefully new books in a new series.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews? I have done that.  I would love to do that more. Any takers?

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books? Yup. I love reading reviews good or bad.  I like to take the time to read them to acknowledge the time it took that reader to read and review it.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books? April Martinez did both Demon Whisperer and Static covers.  I give her an idea what I’m looking for, the mood, sometimes I’ll send in pics I found at istockphoto, and she does the rest.  She’s amazing.

8.     Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing? I grew up reading Stephen King, so I imagine he has a huge influence on my writing.  What I write about most definitely.
            
           What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once? My favourite book right now is Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  I think it’s beyond brilliant.  It is raw and real and I felt everything Katniss went through.  It was actually a review quote from Stephen King that made me pick it up.   Blood Red Road by Moira Young is my 2nd favourite book.  They are both very similar.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
Some books transfer over very well.  But not all books should be or can be made into movies.  It depends on the screenwriter.  And everyone has to realize that books and movies are two different mediums, they aren’t going to look the same.
I thought the Harry Potter books were awesome adaptations of the books. And I CANNOT wait until the Hunger Games movie comes out.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback) I am reading Game of Thrones book one.  In ebook.  I usually only buy ebooks now.  It’s rare for me to buy a paperback anymore.  I love this book.  I’ve seen the TV show, so I know what’s going to happen and when and to who, but it is not ruining the book for me at all.  I love it!

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books? No, I don’t think printed books will ever be completely replaced. But printed copies will become like a special edition, or a collectors item. They won’t be the norm.

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them? Moira Young.  Her book Blood Red Road is amazing.  As good as the Hunger Games. 

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer? Never give up and never surrender.  If this is what you want to do, then you need to learn discipline and learn to take criticisms.


Thankyou for taking the time to take part in the Interview Tawny!



No comments:

Post a Comment