Wednesday 22 May 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - WENDY KNIGHT



Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I did! Ever since I was teeny tiny, I wanted to be a writer. Then I got a little older and added Princess and Olympic Gold Medalist to my lists. Then I wanted to be a zoologist and a writer. Eventually, everything else went away, except the writer.


When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
HA! I’m still trying to get that through my head! When Feudlings debuted in March, my sweet husband bought me a shirt that says, “WRITER.” across the front. I wear it all the time, hoping it will help it sink in.


Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
I recently wrote a true love story about my husband and I. I decided to do it because my publisher had a call for submissions and I thought it would be so easy! I was very, very wrong. It was sooo hard! The plot is already there, and so are the characters.  There’s no room for creativity!

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre? 
Well, I have the contemporary true love story, which is being published under my pen name. I’m also trying out several different genres, but young adult will always be my favorite.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I just signed the contract for the sequel to Feudlings. It should be out in July or August. And there’s a prequel bouncing around in my head, hoping I will write it. I’m right now working on a story about battle unicorns that is making me insanely happy with life.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
I love YA because teenagers have so much potential in front of them – their whole lives have yet to be decided! And urban fantasy because I love the idea that there is magic in my own world, I just can’t see it.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
Why yes! Yes I do! She’s a giant wolf, the pet of my main character in one of my stories. She is sooo cool and uber-tough and loyal and…wolf-y. I love her.

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
Feudlings is my favorite, and probably always will be, because I lived with those characters in my head for years. They’re friends. They’re a part of me! I have songs that I hear on the radio and I think, “Oh, there’s my Ari.”

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
I have suffered from writers block! And I hate it! BUT I do have a no-fail way to get past it, at least for me. I drive around by myself with my music up really loud and I let my mind wander through the story. It works every time! Sometimes, I have to take a long road trip to work it out, and with gas prices I can’t afford to get writers block very often, but when I need to, it works!

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?
I do Zumba! I’m a total klutz and look like a wounded goose, so I do it in my living room on my Xbox, but I absolutely love it. I think my body needs that movement to help my brain relax and recharge, and my waistline needs it because I sit and eat chocolate all day while I write!

No comments:

Post a Comment