Friday 3 May 2013

BELONGING - TEMPTATION SERIES - BY KAREN ANN HOPKINS

ISBN:  978-0373210817
ASIN:  B00BQGGVGE
Series: Temptation Series
Publisher: Harlequin Teen  
Pages/ File Size: 418pages/527KB
Formats Available: Paperback, E-Book
Expected Publication Date: 30th April


BLURB from Netgalley

I left everything I knew behind. 
But it was worth it. He was worth it. 

No one thought an ordinary girl like me would last two minutes living with the Amish, not even me. There are a lot more rules and a lot less freedom, and I miss my family and the life I once had. Worst of all, Noah and I aren't even allowed to see each other. Not until I've proven myself. 
If I can find a way to make it work, we'll be NOAH & ROSE 
together forever. 
But not everybody believes this is where I belong.

MY REVIEW
I received an e-arc of this one to review form Harlequin Teen via Netgalley. Thankyou!
So the cover gives a very sunshine-esque scene, maybe leading us to believe all will be well for Noah & Rose? Hmm. Back to the cover, I like it, with the young couple carefree and holding hands, it's probably how they both see their relationship working out! The cover fits well with BK#1's cover in theme and likeness. I love the scolly type of writing for the title mixed with the more no nonsense font of the authors name. the placement of words on the book is great too, nothing interferes with the "bigger picture" a bit like what Rose is wishing for with her relationship with Noah! I also love a good byline as you all know by now. The byline on this book says "He's Amish. I' not. Will love be enough?" Well that is the number one big question throughout the book. Would I pick this one up from a book shelf? The cover is attractive enough so maybe, though as I'd read and loved BK#1 I would definitely pick it up! The blurb also does it's job well in selling the outline of the story to us in a nutshell.
I read just 6% in my first "reading session" and my feeling were literally wow I'd love to punch Noah. The reason I wanted to punch him? Well he seem's to take rose and all she is giving up for him for granted. He really does expect her to know and live the Amish way from day one of her entering their community. Obviously many of the elders and ministers are against the union but seem to come around at Rose's persistence and the fact the Hershberger's agree to "adopt" Rose and teach her the "plain ways". From my point of view Noah becoming an "Englisher" would have been the simpler option, but no the hard headed guy is set he will not change or turn from his plain ways and religion, it is always Rose who has to change for him. I mean yes Rose is willing and really does try what happens is not her fault. I can't say much more on what happens as you really need to read that yourself.
I just mused to myself really at about 30-45% of the book what would happen if all works out and Noah and Rose marry. Rose will still have the restraints of the Amish upon her throughout her life, any children she would have in her union with Noah would have to be brought up the Amish way. Sometimes I think that Rose hasn't fully thought things through. Then you read of her feelings for Noah, even if they are not together in each others company, even when she is around "englishers" and you do believe the feelings Rose has for Noah are true love.
I love the Amish characters and can see how Rose becomes attached to the Millers and also in time really does have true familial feelings for the Hershbergers too, especially the patient Ruth who shows Rose the "plain ways".
I also love the new "englisher" in this book Summer Sage. Summer is everything Rose used to be before meeting Noah, free, and a little wild. Summer is also a very good friend to Rose who I feel will support her no matter what her decision is. Summer can see the Amish life too as her mother is a driver for the Amish. We also see in this book that just because the amish are a religious people they do still have "bad Amish" within their community, something Rose comes close to on ore than one occasion.
this book also looks at Rose's family and how they are handling her life decisions, Sam who is her elder brother, who seems to treat everything as a joke, does come to a kind of understanding with his sister by the end of the book. Rose's father starts the book thinking the Amish some sort of cult and sadly by the end of the book I think he feels the same. Justin Rose's little brother just seems to get steam rollered into his fathers way of thinking.
Now how to talk about the ending without giving anything away, well one word describes how I felt with the end of the book and what is happening then and that word is "stunned!"
So did I enjoy the book? Overall I really enjoyed it. The book invokes powerful feelings and emotions in the reader, at times I wanted to punch Noah for his pig headedness and his seemingly blindness to what Rose is giving up for him, as well as his easiness to jump to thinking bad of Rose too (you'll see what I mean when you read the book). Other times I wanted to shake Rose and say leave the self centred Amish idiot and find a good "englisher" to date. Then other times I was like go for it Rose I'm 100% you and Noah are meant to be together. I loved how my opinions changed as I read the book! Would I recommend the book? Yes! if you still haven't read Bk#1 why not? lol!! Would I read Bk#3? YES! definitely I need to read it asap!! Would I read other books by Karen Ann Hopkins? I would certainly pick them up and look other books by her over for sure.

Purchase Links


Rest Of Series so far Purchase Links

No comments:

Post a Comment