Sunday 5 May 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - REBECCAH GILTROW

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Rebeccah Giltrow, and I was born in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, in England.  I now live a few miles down the coast in a small village just outside of Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
When I was little I wanted to be a ballerina, but due to abnormally long toes I was unable to turn this dream into reality.  I've always enjoyed writing and making up stories, but it wasn't until I was in my third year at university that I realised I was good at it and it was something I could see myself doing for the rest of my life.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
Lexa Wright's Dating Sights: a real life love story tackling the question 'Can people fall in love like they do in films?'

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I self publish through Createspace for Amazon.  I did try to get published through traditional channels, but kept of receiving rejections.  So in order to get my books into the world, self publishing was the next best option.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I can't say.  I never know myself what I'll end up writing.  More often than not, I sit at my computer and write, and am surprised by what comes out!  I guess it keeps everyone on their toes!

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I always have plans for new books, but I never know if I'm going to write them.  I do want to write a sequel to Lexa Wright's Dating Sights, and I have started that, so hopefully that should be out by the end of the year.

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
My favourite book is 12 Days of Krista May Rose, which is a collection of Christmas short stories.  This is my favourite as the character of Krista lived through a childhood that was very similar to mine, which made it very enjoyable to write.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
My favourite character is Louise, Lexa's best friend, from Lexa Wright's Dating Sights.  She's loud and confident and she doesn't care what other people think.  She just does what she does, and tries to enjoy herself while doing it.  Part of me wishes I could be a bit more like her.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
My parents are my proofreaders.  They're the only people I trust to be completely honest with me.  They've always told me if they've liked or disliked the things I've written, and have always provided constructive feedback.  My mum is great at spotting plot flaws and inconsistencies, and my dad has a grammar radar.  They read over my work a good handful of times before I publish, just to make sure it's the best it can be.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
I use a random name generator on the internet, or baby name lists.  I don't like to name characters after people I know, just in case they think I'm writing about them.  Places are normally generic towns that could be anywhere.  I don't like to be too specific when it comes to places.  I tend to draw inspiration from various places that I've been to, and mold them together to make one place.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I have a beginning and an end, but the middle pretty much writes itself.  I prefer to do it that way as some of my best work has come out of nowhere.  I like the element of surprise that comes from letting the writing flow, and allowing the characters to decide on the direction of the story.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
Of course.  Find me a write who hasn't.  If I'm really in the mood for writing but I can't get past the block, I just write about the block, about how irritating and annoying and frustrating it is.  It's kind of cathartic.  

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I love hardback books, as they feel solid and sturdy.  Whenever I read a hardback, I feel like I'm reading a proper book.  I do read paperbacks, because they are cheaper to buy than hardbacks, but if I can afford it I go for the hardback.

Did you have a favourite author as a child?
Roald Dahl.  One of the first books I ever remember reading was Matilda, and I couldn't wait to finish it so I could start reading it again.  And as an adult he is still one of my favourite authors.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
I used to want to do that, but I find it difficult enough to think up names for my characters, let alone a new name for myself!  I quite like my name so I think I'll stick with that for a while.

Where can readers follow you?
If they know where I live, they can follow me around the supermarket or down to the beach when I take my dog for a walk.  If they're not stalkers they can find me at various places around the internet.

Purchase Links

No comments:

Post a Comment