Sunday 4 August 2013

PROMOTIONAL SPOTLIGHT - AUTHOR INTERVIEW - ANTIOCH - THE CIRCLE BY WILLIAM HARLAN



ISBN:  978-1482099973
ASIN:  B00ATSY2NE
Series: The Circle
Publisher: Self/Indie
Pages/File Size: 349pages/886KB
Formats Available: Paperback, E-Book

BLURB/DESCRIPTION from Amazon.co.uk
"Armageddon is arrived." Threatened by an unnatural plague that raises the dead, an ancient order of mystics must choose between keeping its secrets and saving humanity.
Kind of like Star Wars with zombies.
Editor's Review: Antioch is a great fantasy adventure novel with plenty of sword fighting and monsters (zombies), but the heart of the book is its characters, complex story and clean, imaginative prose.
From the pious yet conflicted paladin Michael to the loudmouthed but lovable sailor Ditch, the characters in Antioch are multifaceted and unique. There are no stereotypes within these pages, yet through the use of humor and seamless dialog, the characters are relatable and believable. This is a rarity in books even by many seasoned authors.
The story begins with slaughter and mystery, then turns to small-town life under the shadow of fear as the citizens of Antioch prepare for Armageddon. Still, questions about the origin and nature of the plague remain and the eventual discovery of the answers is as exciting as the final showdown with death. My only complaint is that the story is left unfinished, and like everyone else who reads Antioch, I have to wait for the rest of the series to discover the final fate of my favorite characters and the answers to all my questions.
The writing in Antioch is clear and precise. I can testify that the author agonized over every word, and it shows in the careful phrasing and brilliant imagery of the story. This, in my opinion, is the mark of a not just a great book, but a great writer.
Highly recommended for any fantasy fan.

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is William E. Harlan, or Billy. I was born in Austin, Texas and I live in Houston, Texas.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I did not. When I was young, I was sure I was going to be a comic book artist. In college I studied sculpture and after that got a culinary degree. Then I was working in a kitchen, started up a band, wrote a few songs and sang a lot. I enjoy making things and artistic interpretation. Writing was the last thing I tried.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
It was about halfway through this first book. I was a stay at home dad and writing about seventy hours a week. I was always thinking about it and ducking away from things to jot a few ideas down, sometimes waking up in the middle of the night and rushing to my computer. It's the biggest thing I've ever done but it never felt like work.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
Now, yes. I'm a cook at Pappadeaux, an upscale and terrifically busy Cajun seafood restaurant chain. It's not as easy to write after fifty back-destroying hours a week in that kitchen. The stay at home dad thing was easy.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
It's titled "Antioch." In 20 words, it's a slash and blast, medieval-meets-steam-punk zombie romp that questions the existence of God.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Antioch is the first book of "The Circle," a series about a group of knightly mystics who call themselves paladins, and the secret they guard. I'm currently working on the second book, Golgotha.

What genre would you place your books into?
Low-fantasy - not too much magic, royalty or destiny but plenty of sword fighting, monsters and food.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
I love role playing games like Dungeons and Dragons and World of Warcraft. I'm writing a world I would enjoy playing in.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Yes, fanatically.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
The best review I've gotten was from a stranger who loved it. The worst was from my older brother, who was one of my beta readers. That one broke my heart.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
Absolutely not! I gather up all my bad reviews and post them on my website in a section called "F'n-A! Reviews - Reviews that exist in lieu of a big, red "Electrocute Author" button."
Link: http://www.williameharlan.com/fn-a-reviews/
Of course, I haven't gotten a bad review I agree with yet...

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books?
I drew and painted the cover.


It's an interpretation of the book's content.








What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. It's exciting and horrific. I only read it once, but it was one sitting - up all night and then staying home from school the next day. I couldn't put that book down!

Your Website?
www.WilliamEHarlan.com

Your Facebook Page?
www.Facebook.com/CircleOfSaints

Your Goodreads Author Page?
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6884314.William_Harlan

Your Twitter Details?
@WilliamEHarlan

And any other information you wish to supply?
I've been illustrating and reading a chapter of Antioch each week and posting it on my website as a free, downloadable audiobook. I just finished chapter sixteen. Halfway done!

No comments:

Post a Comment