Tuesday 13 August 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - SARA V ZOOK

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?  
Sara V. Zook.  I was born and raised in Pennsylvania and reside here still.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Always, never a doubt wanted to be a writer.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
When my first book was completed, Strange in Skin.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
It took me 2 years to figure out what to do with the book.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work? 
Yes, I’m a medical transcriptionist.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say? 
Solace.  It’s exciting and passionate, wrapping up all of those mysteries from the first 2 books.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I self publish through Imagine Press.

Do you have a "lucky charm" or "lucky routine" you follow when waiting for your book to be accepted by a publisher?
Not really

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
For some reason, it always seems to be around 3 months.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
Strange in Skin was the hardest thus far.  I wanted to get it just right since it was going to set the foundation of what readers thought of me.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre? 
I have TONS of ideas of all different genres.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
 After Solace, I will begin a new series and touch upon my humorous, sarcastic side as per the request of my husband.

What genre would you place your books into?
Strange in Skin Trilogy is YA Fantasy.  Clipped is YA social issues.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
 Who needs boundaries when you can let fantasy take over.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? and why are they your favorite? 
I loved Mrs. Anderson.  She is powerful and mysterious.  I never even used a first name for her.

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?
 Of course I’d choose Anna.  I mean, who wouldn’t want to meet a hot guy in jail who has mystical powers and spirals your boring life into one of craziness?

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write? 
Since I was 6-years-old.  I was just something I loved to do.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from? What/Who is your inspiration? 
They oddly come to me in the shower.  That’s probably the only quiet time I have away from my children mostly.  Sometimes while driving in the car too. 

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
 I cannot listen to music and write at the same time.  I tend to listen to an inspiring sound beforehand and then write to get myself in a certain mood.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them? ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know? 
Yes, people that will give me honest feedback.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
I have, but most come from readers.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books? 
Yes, of course.  You have to know what the readers think of your work to progress as a writer.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
 I love the ones that just get it.  They feel the emotion you have poured into the words.  Those reviews are the absolute best.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?  
Oh, no, no, no.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books? 
My college roommate actually came up with the idea for the design for Strange in Skin and then Brenda Grate created it.  Brenda creates all of my covers for me.  I try to make them symbolic of the content of the book.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title? 
It has happened both ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment