Wednesday 6 June 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - JADE HEASLEY



What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now? 
My name is Jade Heasley, and I was born in State College, Pennsylvania, which is in the northeastern part of the United States.  I currently live in a very small town in rural central Pennsylvania called Montgomery.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My newest book is a work of humorous fiction and is called "How to Rule the World."  A college girl tries an experiment to brainwash the public and accidentally discovers the power to rule the world.


How do you market/promote your books? 
I use a combination of traditional and online methods.  I do book signings, author talks, and readings at book stores and libraries and I grant interviews for newspapers and radio shows.  I also use social media such as Facebook, Twitter, GoodReads, and I do blog interviews as well.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others? The easiest book to write was "1980s Kid," which is a totally true humorous memoir about my childhood during the magical time known as the 1980s.  Because everything in the book was true, I didn't have to invent characters or figure out plot twists.  I wrote the draft in about three weeks and spent four months polishing it up for publication.  I am very flattered that is ranked as one of the Top Ten Best Books about the 1980s.





All of my other books are fiction, so when I write something that takes place in the past the research to keep it authentic to the time period can be time consuming but I find it an enjoyable part of the process.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite? 
I have a hard time deciding between two.  One would be Wendy Sloane, who is the main character in "How to Rule the World."  She is a very intelligent young woman with a good head on her shoulders, and she's fearless when it comes to pursuing what she wants in life but she never does anything to hurt anyone else.  She has a very serious and reflective side but she also has a good sense of humor and loves to joke around.My other favourite character is Elise Bayonne, one of the main characters in my novella entitled "The Incorrigible Dreamers."  She is a washed-up movie star who was one of the most popular actresses from the 1920s and 1930s.  After becoming disillusioned by Hollywood when her film career ended, this "Incorrigible Dreamer" found herself in the dead-end alley where all Incorrigible Dreamers eventually wind up to ponder what her next move in life will be - if she decides to make a move at all.  




Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration? 
People are always asking me where I get my ideas from and I have to honestly admit that I don't know where my ideas come from.  All I can do to try to describe inspiration is to say that it's like getting hit by lightning.  I find that ideas for books just drop into my head out of the clear blue sky.  I don't believe that anyone can force themselves to become inspired, it just has to happen.  Along the same lines, I don't think it's possible to teach someone to be creative - you either have it or you don't.  However, I do believe that creativity can be cultivated by different things such as reading, learning, living life, listening to music, etc.  But those things are just a heap of building blocks, you have to come up with a way to do something with the material you gather.  That being said, the more you give yourself to work with the easier creativity will be.

What do you do to unwind and relax?Do you have a hobby? 

I love going for long walks, visiting antique stores, and reading about history.  

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books? I hope not, because I love the feeling of a book in my hand!  But I also own an e-reader and I love that fact that so many classic books are available for free.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
Martin Luther, C.S. Lewis, and Harper Lee.  All three of them are excellent writers whose works were influential at the time they were published and continue to have a powerful impact to this day.  Their works serve as a moral compass for their readers.





Where can readers follow you?
Your blog details?  I'm sorry to say that I don't have a blog.
Your web site ?  www.jadeheasley.com
Your facebook page?  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jade-Heasley/127964210635
Your Goodreads author page?  http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2057120.Jade_Heasley
Your Twitter details?  http://twitter.com/#!/JadeHeasley


And any other information you wish to supply?

I welcome e-mail from my fans and try to answer everyone in a timely manner.  Anyone who wishes to contact me can do so by sending a message to jade@jadeheasley.com

1 comment:

  1. Great interview! Thanks for sharing. I really want to check out The '80s Kid. :D

    ReplyDelete