Tuesday 26 June 2012

GUEST REVIEW BY ENA - TEMPTATION by KAREN ANN HOPKINS



ISBN: 9780373210541
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 304
Formats Available: Paperback, Kindle


BLURB from Goodreads
Your heart misleads you.  That's what my friends and family say.  But I love Noah. And he loves me.  We met and fell in love in the sleepy farming community of Meadowview, while we rode our horses together through the grassy fields and in those moments in each other's arms. It should be  ROSE & NOAH forever, easy. But it won't be. Because he's Amish. And I'm not.


ENA'S REVIEW
Once again my daughter recommended that I should request this one from Netgalley and I was lucky enough to receive the kindle version to read and review.
Firstly the cover represents the book well with the two young teens kissing 9even though they don't initially do much kissing or spend much time alone together. It's kind of sweet how the space between their body shapes forms a rough heart shape. 
Rose and Noah are instantly likeable characters, and I think you fall in love a little with Noah when Rose does when she first sets eyes on him.
Rose is in a fairly vulnerable state when her and her family move next door to Noah's parents farm. rose's mother has died not so long ago so the whole family is still grieving.
You might think this is a simple boy meets girl, they fall in love and date, but that's not the case. Rose and Noah's relationship is a forbidden romance as Noah is Amish. the Amish do not date the "English". Amish call everyone that isn't Amish, "English" regardless of their birth country. Though the Amish interact with the community and seem to go out of their way to welcome Rose and her family, they in  no way approve of their sons budding romance with Rose. Of course they are found out and things climax after a near death tragedy. 
In a way the book deals with racism, the way Amish don't trust "English" and the way Rose's family are somewhat suspicious of the Amish. So how can the relationship survive? Will either teen give in to pressure from their families? Will Noah be sent away to "contemplate"? Will Rose be sent to live with her Aunt? or can a compromise be found to suit both families?
I'm really pleased my daughter recommended this book, it was interesting from a "observing the Amish" culture point of view as well as being a really well written story of forbidden young love.
Did I enjoy it then? YES. Would I read BK2? Already on my must read list! Would I recommend? Yes as a great read for all ages! Would I read more by Karen Ann Hopkins? Yes.


Amazon.co.uk

2 comments:

  1. This sounds good. I've been reading a lot of Amish book reviews lately. It makes me want to read a lot of them. Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete