Friday 15 June 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - RAY GORHAM






Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
--No.  English was my worst subject in High School.  I studied accounting in College, and now I run a Log Home business.  The idea of writing was something that grew over time.
 
When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
--I’m not sure I’m at that point yet, but when I sold my 1,000th copy, I kind of thought of myself as a writer at that point.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
--I took almost two years of trying the conventional route before deciding to give self-publishing a try, then it took almost another year before I felt good about putting it out there.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
--“The Futurist.”  When someone can really see the future, is that as wonderful as it first appears?

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
--I self-publish at this point.  I tried to find an agent, but my background doesn’t bring them in.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
--If I can dedicate myself to it, it takes about 2 months first draft, and another 2 to re-write it a few time.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
--I’d like to do both.  I have a variety of ideas, and I’d like to pursue them all, though I know people who have read my work might expect similar subject matter.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
--My favorite character would have to be my main character.  He is a normal guy who finds himself in really difficult circumstances and tries to do the best he can.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
--About the only routine I can think of is listening to classical music.  I find it helps me think more clearly and write quicker.  I don’t listen to it normally, but I find it effective for writing.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them? ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
--My wife is my first reader, but I also enlist friends and family.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
--I do, if they have a blog or something.  I don’t do it just to pump up my reviews on Amazon.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
--Everyone.  And usually within a few hours of it’s being published.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
--The worst was one that was amazingly critical of the editing—typos, grammar, word usage, etc.  I commented on the review asking them to email specifics so I could correct them, and the review was removed, so not sure what that was all about.  In general, the tough ones are where the person misses the point of the book, and the best is where they get it. 

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
--No.  I can’t expect everyone to love it, but it is frustrating when they obsess over certain things.  For example, some reviews are way critical because I have religious characters who talk about God.  That accounts for maybe 1% of the book and is by no means the focus of it.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
--I write the book and try to come up with a title as I go along.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
--I let the characters develop on their own, though may have certain traits in mind as I begin.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
--I have a very basic plot in mind, then see where the story takes me.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
--I hope they don’t.  Personally I love to have printed books.  We have several books cases in our home stuffed with books, and I’m also hitting the used bookstore to find more.  We also own a kindle, but I like the tangible item.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
--No.  Not near enough reading goes on.  Too much electronics.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
--Write about characters that people will like.  I know being “edgy” is supposed to be the thing, but I think people want, for the most part, characters that they can like and relate to.









1 comment:

  1. 'Nother great interview! Great to get to know Mr. Gorham!

    ReplyDelete