Thursday 21 June 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - MOLLY SNOW






Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I am happily self-published. I say “happily” because it isn’t always the first choice for an author, but after working as a personal assistant to a best-selling, self-published author, I was more excited to try things out myself. I have an entrepreneurial spirit. So, I haven’t sought representation since I was just out of high school.

What is so cool about 2012 is the great freedom of choice. No longer do writers need justification for their talent through representation. Fan messages are more than validating. As long as I am entertaining readers, I am happy :)

I have also started my own small company, Breezy Reads. You can learn about it here: http://breezyreads.com

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?
Without a doubt, I would choose to be the magical black cat, Surla, who can switch bodies with lonely souls. Her human crush, Jax Morreau, is pretty hot stuff, too ;) She is sassy and cute and fun. She makes mistakes at times, like we all do, and I think it makes her more relatable. 

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I plot out a certain amount ahead of time. I consider motives behind the characters’ choices and how they may change by the end of the story. I like to know the basic ending and a couple of the climaxes.
With Royally BeSwitched there were many factors that needed to weave together seamlessly with my plot to make sense and be enjoyable. The story gets into Jax’s family history, since he is thrust back in time to 1730 France. We meet a few characters who are tied in with each other through secrets and betrayal

Now, sometimes, I will have an idea ahead of time, but by the time I reach that part in the book, my gut steers me to another scene or direction. Sometimes the best moments aren’t planned.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback?
I like ebooks because they don’t clutter up my home. I don’t care for bookcases, so ebooks are very convenient :)

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
I read the most books in the 5th grade to win a luncheon with a children’s author. I still have my first journal from when I was 7. My first “long” story I wrote was in pencil on a steno notepad--117 pages, titled The Journey For The Most Valuable Pearl when I was in the 4th grade. In high school, I took creative writing courses at the local community college. The first book in The BeSwitched Series was written when I was sixteen. I guess you can say, I always had a knack for writing :0)

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Absolutely. It is always exciting to see a new review. I love being surprised with them. The best gift you can give your favorite author is a review: http://www.breezyreads.com/2012/02/best-gift-you-can-give-favorite-author.html

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
I haven’t had any terrible reviews come (yet). Realistically, I know my books are not everyone’s cup of tea and I will get a bad rating some day. Rather than a bad review, the toughest thing I have heard to date is that a blogger just couldn’t finish the first in the series,BeSwitched. That info ate at me, because it was just released and I didn’t hear anyone else’s opinions. When other reviews came in, I felt so much better and it confirmed my audience is somewhere out there.

What made me the most giddy were messages from strangers from out of the blue. One said she read BeSwitched 3 times in 4 days because she loved it so much. The other messaged me a few times on Twitter, raving about how much she loved BeSwitched. Those are the moments as an author, when you receive your first fan messages, where you jump around your living room like a loon.



Your Twitter details? @molly_snow

And any other information you wish to supply? On my blog, I’ll be giving a link to a free ecopy of BeSwitched Witch, June 21-22. Visit me and get your copy! #parafreebies

No comments:

Post a Comment