Wednesday 23 April 2014

SERIES PROMOTION INCL MY REVIEW - BURN - PURE BY JULIANNA BAGGOTT

Title: Burn
Author: Julianna Baggott
Series: Pure
Publisher: Headline
ISBN: 978-0755385584
ASIN: B00F0LUS3I

BLURB from Goodreads
Inside the Dome, Patridge has taken his father's place as leader of the Pures. His struggle has led him here, intent upon bringing down the Dome from the inside, with the help of a secret resistance force. But things are not as simple from his new position of power and he finds himself tempted by his father's words: perhaps if the world is to survive it needs the Dome - and Partridge - to rule it...

As Partridge's resolve weakens, Pressia and Bradwell continue piecing together the clues left to them from the time before the Detonations. It is their hope that they will be able to heal the Wretches, and free them from their monstrous fusings and the Dome's oppression once and for all. But everything depends, too, on Partridge. Separated by distance and history, can they still trust their friend and ally? Or is the world doomed to an eternity of war and hardship?

REST OF THE SERIES

PURE 
PURE BK1

We know you are here, our brothers and sisters . . . 
Pressia barely remembers the Detonations or much about life during the Before. In her sleeping cabinet behind the rubble of an old barbershop where she lives with her grandfather, she thinks about what is lost--how the world went from amusement parks, movie theaters, birthday parties, fathers and mothers . . . to ash and dust, scars, permanent burns, and fused, damaged bodies. And now, at an age when everyone is required to turn themselves over to the militia to either be trained as a soldier or, if they are too damaged and weak, to be used as live targets, Pressia can no longer pretend to be small. Pressia is on the run. 
Burn a Pure and Breathe the Ash . . . 
There are those who escaped the apocalypse unmarked: Pures. They are tucked safely inside the Dome that protects their healthy, superior bodies. Yet Partridge, whose father is one of the most influential men in the Dome, feels isolated and lonely. Different. He thinks about loss--maybe just because his family is broken; his father is emotionally distant; his brother killed himself; and his mother never made it inside their shelter. Or maybe it's his claustrophobia: his feeling that this Dome has become a swaddling of intensely rigid order. So when a slipped phrase suggests his mother might still be alive, Partridge risks his life to leave the Dome to find her. 
When Pressia meets Partridge, their worlds shatter all over again. 



FUSE
PURE BK2


When the end came, the world was divided. Those considered perfect, the Pure, sheltered inside the controlled Dome. Outside, the Wretches struggled in a destroyed world, crippled by the fusings that branded them after the apocalypse that changed everything. Partridge, a Pure, has left the safety of the Dome in search of the truth. Pressia, a Wretch, is desperate to decode the secret that will cure her people of their fusings forever. Together, they must seek out the answers that will save humankind, and prevent the world's annihilation. But the betrayal of Partridge's departure has not been forgotten. As the Dome unleashes horrifying vengeance upon the Wretches in an attempt to get Partridge back, Partridge has no choice but to return to face the darkness that lies there, even as Pressia travels to the very ends of the world to continue their search. Theirs is a struggle against a formidable foe, and it is a fight that will push them over boundaries of land and of sea, of heart and of mind. They can only hope for success because failure is unimaginable...  


BURN
PURE BK3



Title: Burn
Author: Julianna Baggott
Series: Pure
Publisher: Headline
ISBN: 978-0755385584
ASIN: B00F0LUS3I

BLURB from Goodreads
Inside the Dome, Patridge has taken his father's place as leader of the Pures. His struggle has led him here, intent upon bringing down the Dome from the inside, with the help of a secret resistance force. But things are not as simple from his new position of power and he finds himself tempted by his father's words: perhaps if the world is to survive it needs the Dome - and Partridge - to rule it...

As Partridge's resolve weakens, Pressia and Bradwell continue piecing together the clues left to them from the time before the Detonations. It is their hope that they will be able to heal the Wretches, and free them from their monstrous fusings and the Dome's oppression once and for all. But everything depends, too, on Partridge. Separated by distance and history, can they still trust their friend and ally? Or is the world doomed to an eternity of war and hardship?


INITIAL THOUGHTS
I have been wanting to read this one ever since I received it, however, I decided to wait closer to release date and then due to health and family health issues ended up missing reading it prior to its release. So I'm approaching this book with mixed feelings . . . I desperately want to read more and find out if Pressia, Bradwell and El Capitan get their broken airship fixed. I also want to know what's going to happen in the love triangle. Pressia loves Bradwell, and El Capitan has declared his love for Pressia . . .But on the other hand I don't want the series to end. My plan is to try and read this book slowly to savour it!
My"initial thoughts" upon finishing the whole book and series were "Oh wow L.O.V.E.D loved it . . ." and "aahh Ohh Bradwell"

MY REVIEW
So I was super lucky in that I received an ecopy from I think Netgalley or Edelweiss (yet I can't find it again to provide feedback) and my daughter received a paperback copy from Bookbridgr.
So the cover, there's so many different cover versions that I can't really pick a favourite set or even favourite one as I fin them all appealing and would pick any/all up from a bookstore shelf.
I really liked and thoroughly enjoyed the initial chapters from the different characters POV as we are catching up with each one with a recap within from each character too. It's always a worry with a book in a series that you have been waiting for that you will forget major and minor things that have previously happened. I really hate to have to re-read the book prior to the one I'm about to read. I mean there's so many fantastic books to be read why would you re-read one you've already read! So with the mini re-caps within the first chapters of this book your memory is certainly jiggled to remember what has already happened.
This book is definitely action packed, even more so than Books 1 & 2 in my opinion. This book has action, drama, political issues of inside and outside the Dome, as well as the love issues between Pressia, Bradwell and El Capitan. There's lots of confusion as to whose side Partridge is really on as things don't actually go exactly to the plan he has made with Pressia, Bradwell and El Capitan. Without giving much away there is plenty of betrayal going on too, within relationships and the wider plot, which all add more and more layers to this brilliantly written book. You certainly care about the characters and are willing them to succeed in whatever they are doing. 
Even though at times during reading this book I was quite ill the book still kept my interest all the way through.
So now how do I say the next bit without giving away too much . . .Julianna Baggott has made what I would say is some really difficult decisions in this book around the characters. Certainly things didnt go the way I thought they would for Bradwell or Partridge really.
There is still a tiny clue that there may be "unfinished" business for the "Good Mother" as she is intent on exacting revenge on her husband for abandoning her and the child that is fused to her. I'd like to read that story . . .perhaps in a novella . . . or there could be a novella from Iralene's Point Of View too?
So did I enjoy the book? Yes, I loved it. The book and its characters certainly pulled me in and I had the whole range of emotions from sitting on the edge of my seat, to tears and wry smiles too. There's heart warming parts in the book as well as heart breaking parts too. Would I recommend the book? Yes, I'd recommend the whole series, I have loved every minute of it. Would I read more, if there were more in the series? If there were a novella or two I'd certainly read them as I mentioned within the main part of my review there are a few parts that could be classed as "unfinished business" . Then again if there was a spin off series or a book about the time after the ending of Burn I'd still want to read that as wellWould I read other books by this Author? I will be keeping my eyes open looking for what comes next from this author. I have loved her writing, the way it had me immersed and engrossed within the pages of this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment