Friday 9 November 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - JUS ACCARDO


Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be? 
From an early age, I wanted to be either a chef (like my grandfather) or a writer. It was a close race. I’d actually applied and been accepted to the C.I.A (Culinary Institute of America) when at the last minute, I decided to pass on the spot and move forward with a writing career.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published? 
It’s really different for everyone, but from some of the horror stories I’ve heard, I got really lucky!

Do you work another job as well as your writing work? 
Not anymore. I write full time. Before I started writing full time though, I did it all. I was an exorcize rider for horses, a real estate agent, a nail tech, a telemarketer, a baker…you get the idea :D

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish? 
I’m published through Entangled Teen!

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it? 
It depends on the book. Touch was super fast (like under a month) and Toxic, because I was working on several other things at the time, took longer.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others? 
I think as of now, Touch was easiest to write. I think it’s mainly because there weren’t any world rules to follow. Everything was fair game, lol. If I didn’t like something, I could go back and tweak it. With the second book in a series, if you decide you don’t particularly like a direction you’ve taken, you’re kind of stuck!

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre? 
For now, the same genre. I’m playing with a contemporary thriller idea, but I’m a sucker for paranormal.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series? 
I have lots of plans. My plans have plans. Seriously. I have files of ideas just itching for attention… I can say there will be some new series news soon, though :P

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why? 
Dez. Totally Dez. She’s confidant and strong and knows what she wants. Plus, she’s got Kale!

Where do you get your book plot ideas from? 
What/Who is your inspiration? My brain just randomly generates ideas. Some are awesome—some not so much. The inspiration is all around. Everything from heading out for an early morning hike with my dogs, to a trip to the food store, can spark a story idea.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair? 
Well, up until recently, I sat at the kitchen table (and was perfectly content there!), but my husband surprised me by turning one of our spare bedrooms into an office, and I’ll be honest—I love it. It’s like my own little cave! I did steal the kitchen table chair though. Other than that, I need to be barefoot (Really—I have NO clue why).

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
 Nooo. I mean, I did in the beginning. I can’t imagine a new author not reading them. If someone goes out of their way to ping me with a review, I’ll totally look at it, if not I don’t go searching. You’re going to get bad reviews—every book does—but it’s the ones that take it a step past that and rip on the author’s life/intelligence/choices/family/dogs/childhood/choice of licorice, making it more a personal attack than a review, that turned me off.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had? 
The worst review I had was one where the reader not only posted a bad review (totally within her rights) but then emailed asking me to kill myself as to put the world out of its misery. Totally not kidding. And the best? No way I could possibly pick. People have been awesome and it gives me goose bumps every time I think about how well Dez and Kale have been received!

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books? 
Not at all. Not everyone is going to love every book they read. It’s why there are so many different kinds of stories out there!

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
I think it kind of depends. With Touch, I had nothing in mind when I started. Actually, when I began querying it, the title was REAPER. With Toxic, I knew the title before I even wrote the first sentence.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along? 
Some characters come to me fully formed, others kind of develop as I go.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story? 
I’m totally a see where this goes kind of girl. No real plotting. I get a basic idea and just start writing. Yes, it sometimes means a little more editing (I’ll change things halfway through a book then need to go back and change the beginning) but it’s the only way I can work.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
I have to say I’ve been very lucky. It hasn’t been a huge issue for me. On the few occasions where I was stuck, Some choice tunes and a walk out into the fresh air cleared it right up!

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby? 
I love being outdoors. Taking the dogs out back to the trails behind my house is a daily ritual!  I also love to sketch (I’m not really good at it, lol) and I’m a huge World of Warcraft junkie.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback? To read? 
I love ebooks. They’re awesome and they save space and my husband’s sanity—but there’s nothing like the feel of holding a paperback in your hands!

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books? 
I hope not!!!

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life? 
I pretty much always wrote. It started when I was young. If I didn’t like the way a book ended, I rewrote the ending. It just kind of snowballed from there ;)

Is there a book you know you will never read? 
Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish? I’ll give anything a try. You never know when something is going to surprise you! And once I start something, I have to finish. If not, I’ll always wonder.

What do you think about book trailers?
 I love them!

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer? 
Be patient and keep at it. This is not an easy career path. You need to have a firm support group, a slick back, and a lot of patience. But remember—it only takes one person to pull you from the slush. The right one at the right moment. It’ll happen.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with? 
I’d love to hang with Rob Thurman, Kelly Armstrong and Darynda Jones!

Where can readers follow you?

Your blog details? 
http://www.jusaccardo.com/category/blog/
Your web site? 
http://www.jusaccardo.com/
Your facebook page?
https://www.facebook.com/AuthorJusAccardo
Your Goodreads author page? http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4996736.Jus_Accardo
Your Twitter details?
@JusAccardo


No comments:

Post a Comment