Tuesday 13 November 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - NICK ORSINI



What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Nick Orsini … born in New Jersey. Currently living and working in both New Jersey and New York City.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Nope! I wanted to be a film critic.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
When someone got a line of my poetry tattooed on their arm. That was an extreme wakeup call that maybe what I was doing was touching people.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
I published my first book, Two Wrongs Make a Vice, myself. It took a long time to move through editorial and layout.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
Yes. I’ve worked many jobs while writing. I was a mail courier, a limousine dispatch, a videographer and now I produce television commercials at a major advertising agency.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
Fingerless Gloves. “It’s a John Hughes movie played at double speed”, http://apostrophebooks.com/fingerlessgloves/

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
My publisher is now (and I couldn’t be happier) Apostrophe Books www.apostrophebooks.com

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
Usually a year-and-a-half to two years.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
Fingerless Gloves was a much easier story to tell just because I was in a better place in my life. Two Wrongs Make a Vice was a war to write. I was getting some very difficult things out there on the page.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I’m going to write a superhero story.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Nope - no plans or series. I just sort of go.

What genre would you place your books into?
Young-adult fiction blended and shook with Ben Gibbard lyrics.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
I think people say you write what you know … I’m just writing what I know.

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
Fingerless Gloves is the best thing I’ve done. I love the characters. When I was done writing it, it was almost sad to leave them. Their story was over and I got to keep telling mine …it’s almost unfair. http://apostrophebooks.com/fingerlessgloves/

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
Anton (main character of Fingerless Gloves) is my favorite. He is relatable and imperfect. It’s tough for him to move on and grow up just because you get the sense that so much is unresolved with him. It was a revelation to write such a complex character. My girlfriend called him a “troubled and confusing boy”

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?
I wouldn’t want to be any of them. They have these gigantic issues and problems. Too much baggage.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
I’ve been writing since 2008. I got inspired when I realized I had some stories buried in my brain that I could maybe, with some practice, be able to tell in a style that would give justice to the narrative.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I always write at my giant, messy desk. It’s covered in post cards, action figures, pens and photos … it’s rather disgusting, but it’s home. It’s a place where ideas can be spilled out.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
My dad reads every book I write before anyone else. He’s honest. He called the main character of Two Wrongs Make a Vice an asshole. I can appreciate that.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
I’ll gift books to readers just for being readers.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Eh … some of them. If they start out “Nick Orsini is a pompous clown who can’t write a single sentence without oozing douchebaggary” … I’ll skip over it.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
My grandmother’s review of Two Wrongs Make a Vice. She read it at the end of her life and asked me if that’s how troubled young people today really are. I think it was eye-opening to see how complex young adults have gotten. I wish she liked it more or it was more uplifting for her.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
Absolutely not!

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
Fingerless Gloves was named after the fact. I give my books working titles. The working title of Fingerless Gloves was “Solo Dolo” and the working title of my current book is a quote from Burton’s Batman –“There’s a Bat… In Gotham”
Two Wrongs Make a Vice was the name of this absurd photo album on Facebook. It was called “Spring Break Blackout Drunk … Two Wrongs Make a Vice” and I loved it.

Are character names and place names decided after there creation? or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?
The character names and places are usually decided beforehand … I pick the names based on whether or not the name would fly in a film. For instance, I would never name a character “John Black” … but I would name one “James Squire.”

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
I decide those traits as I go. How a character develops over the course of a book is a very organic thing.

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
I think if a book is universal in theme, it will sell.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
Yes … of course! To get over it, I took a notebook to the mall and wrote down the back story to every single person I saw in the food court. It was an exercise that was exhausting, but that left me with a ton of material.

What do you do to unwind and relax?Do you have a hobby?
Watch movies, play music, listen to music very loud, read interesting articles, search for new ipad apps, read comics, collect action figures.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
Every story I’ve ever told has been based on people I know and things that have happened to me. Maybe not exactly, but in some backwards way.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
Of course! The moral of all my work is: It’s ok to be unsure about what happens when you’re 17, or 27, or 47, or 87.

Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
Hunter S. Thompson and Chuck Klosterman

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
Ebook and paperback.

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
Kingdom of Fear by Hunter S. Thompson. I’ve read it three times.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
Favorite book-movie adaptation is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas … least favorite is Watchmen.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I’m currently reading Dream Team about the 1992 Olympic Men’s Basketball Team. It’s an ebook. Woot woot.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
Never ever.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
They are, but it’s not the type of writing and reading that will really challenge them to work through just how difficult high school and college are. That’s where young writers come in, not only as storytellers, but mentors as well. Students should be encouraged to be encouraged … being 14, 17, 20 … it’s tough.

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
Not very new, but new enough. I didn’t really creatively write in college. I wrote film anaylsis.

Did you have a favourite author as a child?
I used to love the Berenstain bears books. For real.

Do you have a favourite genre of book?
YA Fiction.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
I’ve never read any of the Harry Potter books.

Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
To be honest, I don’t think so … not because the books are perfect, but because they’re this imprint. It’s like re-doing graduation day or the day your dog died … it’s a moment that hurt, made you feel crazy, unsure … but you can’t go back and re-do it.

What do you think about book trailers?
I love them! I’ve shot and cut three myself.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
Never!

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
Hunter S. Thompson, Dylan Thomas and Hemingway.


Where can readers follow you?

Links to buy Fingerless Gloves:
iBookstore USA: http://goo.gl/txhCn
iBookstore UK: http://goo.gl/3vK7n

Links to find out more about Fingerless Gloves:

No comments:

Post a Comment