Wednesday 12 September 2012

BEYOND - CROSSROADS BK#3 BY MARY TING

BLURB from Goodreads
Torn between the past she can't remember and a future she isn’t ready for, Claudia feels at a loss. With unanswered questions, she is certain there is more to her past than just being a venator. Finding the missing pieces in her life won’t be easy because duty calls. When mysterious dark shadows get released, an apocalypse sets in motion. The venators and the alkins must work together once again. Knowing Claudia would be the key to destroying the demons that were released, a familiar stranger appears to protect her. Drawn to the beautiful angel, Claudia finds she must unravel the mysteries of her past in order to help save the world. Who is the angel assisting her and why does she feel a strong connection to him? Time is running out. Will she discover all the secrets before it’s too late?

MY REVIEW
I was set this arc e-copy directly from the lovely Mary Ting. I had reviewed her book Crossroads, the first in the Crossroads Series when I first began blogging, just over year ago. I was introduced to Mary by another lovely author friend that I have made via blogging called Patti Roberts. Since then I have eagerly awaited new titles from Mary and enjoyed each book in the Crossroads series more the previous book.
The cover is gorgeous, it has my most favourite element from the prior book covers. I love the image of Michael's white wings and ow they form a beautiful heart shape. I also love the butterflies and the scenic view on the cover and the way Claudia is walking carefree through the grass. I think butterflies are liked by most people so of course it makes the cover appealing to a wide spectrum of people.
I think the colours on the cover, they are welcoming and without giving away any spoilers at all are a good depiction of certain places mentioned in the books, especially the place at the end of book three. The whole light glowing through the wings makes me think of mystical beings and perhaps the "afterlife" somewhat too.
The colours on the book and the image of the heart shaped wings would certainly draw me to pick up the book and make me want to read the blurb. then the blurb would really sell me the book!
So in this book Claudia has become a trained venator. Claudia's memories of Michael and her time spent with him and Caleb, Austin, Vivian and Davin have been hidden away in her mind. Claudia is aware she has memory loss or as Austin has explained selective memory loss, she has been told it may never come back. however little things seem to trigger little slivers of her memory, and she begins to remember. As Claudia said at the end of the book, it's the heart that remembers love not the mind. this books really shows that statement to be.....aha you though I was going to give a spoiler...but no you need to read the book to find out if/what/how Claudia remembers.
I love the relationships that Claudia has with the other venators, alkins and earth angels. I also love lots of the characters, so much that I cannot just choose one as a most favourite.
Davin is so funny with his "earth sayings" and the fact he wants to try "earth food" even though he doesn't need to eat. his obsession in this book (ok it's a tiny tiny, spoiler) are salsa and chips! Vivian is still the loving older sister figure to Claudia, and Caleb is not as shy around Claudia he seems to have taken on an older brother figure. Austin has fallen in love with Claudia as he has been assigned as her guardian angel now, but deep down he knows I think he has to know theirs is a love than can never be. Claudia's heart belongs elsewhere.
Mary Ting describes beautiful scenes and places in the "other world", she describes them so intricately that you can easily visualize them in your mind. 
Once again you run through a whole host of roller-coaster emotions in this book. You cannot help but become attached to the characters in this series. When picking up this book it is like returning to visit an old friend that you have missed. The book ending is brilliant too and it certainly left me wanting more! lots more please!
Of course there is a fight evil against the good, but which side will Claudia be on? Will she even get the choice or the chance to fight and hopefully make a difference?
The fight scenes are descriptive enough that you fell like you are in the middle of the action.
I could go on and on about this book, I really loved it, as much as I loved the rest of the series. I am very "tight" as my daughter would say when rating books in that I don't give high praise very much, but I really cannot praise and promote and recommend these books I feel like shouting it from the rooftops. the strange thing is before this series of books I had always been really disinterested in "Angel" books, I found them "all the same", but this series has totally changed my opinion.
Beyond is a tale that manages to be heart breaking yet heart warming all at the same time
So did I enjoy this? Yess! Would I recommend? Yes! Would I read more of the series?Yesss please! Would I read more by Mary Ting? Yes!
It is rare that I re-read book but this is a collection of books that will stay firmly on my Kindle for many years and be a series I highly recommend, if they were paperbacks they would be on the cherished shelf!

Available at Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment