Friday 28 September 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - PAUL RIMMASCH


What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Paul Rimmasch. I was born in the Salt Lake Valley and currently live in Ogden, Utah.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
No, actually it never even crossed my mind growing up. When I was in high school I wanted to be an archaeologist.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
To be honest, I still don’t. Writing is something I squeeze in on the side. My job as a crime scene investigator for the Weber County Sheriff’s Office is what pays the bills. I suppose when the IRS thinks I’m a writer, so will I.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?     
I was extremely blessed. I only have one rejection letter to my name. Of course, it is my first book. From the time I first sent my manuscript out until I got my offer from Cedar Fort was about six months.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My book is called The Lost Stones.  Less than 20 word summary… One ex-soldier seeks to end the world’s oil dependency. He ends up finding adventure, love, and faith.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
It took me about eight months to write The Lost Stones and about that long to write the sequel.  That is with me writing when I have a spare moment.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
The Lost Stones is the first book in a trilogy. The manuscript for the sequel is completed and the third book is currently in production.

What genre would you place your books into?
The Lost Stones is probably best described as an archaeological/religious thriller.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
I absolutely love that genre. “Raiders of the Lost Ark” is one of my all-time favorite movies and I loved the Davinci Code and Angels and Demons. I have been inspired greatly by those great works.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
My favorite character in The Lost Stones is definitely “The Fixer”. Not to be difficult, but If I told you why I like him best, it would give too much away.


Where do you get your book plot ideas from? What/Who is your inspiration?
Many of my ideas have come from listening to the nationally syndicated radio program Coast to Coast AM with George Noory. It is a wonderfully eclectic show that covers topics anywhere from UFOs, to Ghosts, to Bigfoot. Show topics have given me great starting points for my own research.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them? ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
My wife is my first and best filter. She reads the chapters as I crack them out. If she thinks it needs to be changed, I change it. She is especially valuable at helping me write female characters since we all known that us men have trouble understanding certain things.


Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
I have so far. I’m sure it’s because I’m a first-timer. I doubt experienced authors do.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
No. I wouldn’t feel right doing that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
The place names in The Lost Stones are all real so that wasn’t hard. I do have a terrible time thinking up character names. I use variations of names of people I know and characters from movies.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
So far the main plot points have been very well developed in my mind before I started to write. A lot of the lesser plot points and twists and turns come during writing and as a result of research.

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
I think there are good books that aren’t bestsellers and bestsellers that aren’t good books.  So the two don’t necessarily follow one another. I think as a general rule, a bestseller gets people talking about it.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
Of course, everyone does.  I’ve found that additional research always helps me find new ideas.

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?
At this stage in my life, writing is a hobby and helps me unwind. I’m also an avid gardener and hiker.

Is there a certain author that influenced you in writing?
I think Dan Brown has been my biggest stylistic inspiration. I really enjoy his short chapters and page-turner pacing.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback?
I love the feel and smell of a book in my hands. The older and mustier the book, the better!

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
My favorite book is The Christmas Carol by Dickens. I read it every December.  I seriously wonder if I could get into the Christmas spirit without it.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
They can, but it’s dicey. If the screenwriter “gets” the book, it can go well. I also think the simpler the book the better. That’s why short stories (The Shawshank Redemption) do better than huge novels (The Harry Potter series). Too much gets left out of a long book.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I’m not currently reading anything except for research material. I’m either in a reading frame of mind or a writing frame of mind. I usually don’t do both.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
They may come close, but there will always be people who won’t use them. Just like there is a hardcore element that still uses film cameras.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
I think children are encouraged to read but as class sizes get bigger and bigger, imagination and individualism are less and less appreciated and encouraged.

Did you have a favourite author as a child?
Lloyd Alexander was by far my favorite author as a child. The Prydain Chronicles are epic!


Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
There is a geographical error in The Lost Stones I wish I could take back.

What do you think about book trailers?
I think they are fine. Anything that will help pique interest in a book is a good thing.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Don’t give up. There will be plenty of people who will tell you that you can’t do it.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
Charles Dickens, Joseph Conrad, and J.R.R Tolkien. I would love to just sit back and hear what they would talk about.

Your Web Site

Your Facebook Page?
www.facebook.com/theloststones

Your Goodreads Author Page?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11709588-the-lost-stones

Book Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTqTSdiXpZU&feature=plcp


No comments:

Post a Comment