Sunday 16 September 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - SOLITAIRE PARKE



What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Solitaire Parke, I'm male, I was born in Bakersfield, California and live in Glendale Arizona.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
From my earliest recollection, I have always wanted to be a writer.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
I didn't really consider myself an author until Vengeance of the Wolf was published.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
A heck of a lot longer than I wanted.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
No, I work on the writing full time.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
"The Emerald Dragon"  An Urban Fantasy novel that has Dragons, Demons, Vampires, Hell Hounds, High Tech and sometimes normal people.



Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I self publish.

Do you have a "lucky charm" or "lucky routine" you follow when waiting for your book to be accepted by a publisher?
No, not that I'm aware of or will admit to.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
About four to five months.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
Meta-Physical Documentaries have been the hardest, because you can't fudge.  Everything has to be as accurate as you can possibly make it.  The rest are us fun.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
Tanis from the Emerald Dragon, because I designed him to be the guy I would like to be.  I live vicariously through him.

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?
(See previous question)  Definitely Tanis.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
My first attempt was at the age of twelve and it was shortly after I read A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs.  I give credit to him for starting the ball rolling, so to speak.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from? What/Who is your inspiration?
I generally dream the whole project, as strange as that sounds.  Start to finish, complete with title and as soon as I wake up, I start the outline so I won't forget.  As far as who inspires the dreams, I have absolutely no idea.

Do you have a certain routine for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I have my office set up with everything I need, right down to the perfect chair.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Absolutely.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Yes, I try to read them all, both good and bad.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
Jeez, I hope not.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
The Young Adult genre is bigger than ever, so I can only hope that it translates to a surge of interest at that level.

Do you have a favourite genre of book?
No.  I'm near terminally curious about all things, so my reading habits go from the sublime to the ridiculous.

What do you think about book trailers?
I love book trailers as long as they're short, clever and give just enough information about the book to make me curious.  Maybe we should call them book teasers?

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Keep writing, don't take no for an answer, and believe in yourself.

Social Media:

Blog – http://solitaireparke.wordpress.com
Website – http://www.solitaireparke.com

Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/solitaireparke
Goodreads – http://www.goodreads.com/solitaireparke
Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/solitaireparke

1 comment:

  1. I know Solitaire, but was not aware of this latest book - where can we find it? Usual places? Just his site? It's not on Goodreads at all... :-)

    ReplyDelete