Thursday 19 December 2013

PROMOTION & AUTHOR INTERVIEW - THE SURVIVORS BY DANIEL HARVELL


What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Daniel Harvell, born in Tallahassee, FL, and currently residing in Austin, TX.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I couldn’t read enough books growing up. I wrote my first short story around the age of 10 and immediately fell in love with the idea of being a storyteller. My education background is business, but I was never passionate about pursuing any career other than being an author.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
I’ve written a lot of things over the years, but it wasn’t until the first copy of my novel was sold that I truly felt I could call myself a writer.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
I wrote THE SURVIVORS in 2001 and self-published it in 2013. So yes, it took quite a while! It wasn’t ready to be published after that first draft, and I knew it. So I honed my skills and tackled my everyday issues. Eventually a dramatic shift in my life opened the door for me to return to my writing, and I couldn’t be happier.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I have my own small business where I handle social media and a variety of communications initiatives for Austin-area clients.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
THE SURVIVORS is the story of seven strangers who gain extraordinary abilities after impossibly surviving a crash.

BLURB from Goodreads
When seven strangers impossibly survive a horrific airplane crash, they find themselves changed in remarkable ways. The survivors are endowed with powers that defy explanation. Some are blessed. Some are cursed. 

Going their separate ways, they adapt their extraordinary "gifts" to their ordinary lives. The results, however, aren't always pretty -- particularly when one of them engages in a killing spree. With little more to go on than the psychic link that they all share, the survivors seek out one another to uncover the murderer and bring him or her to justice. 

The fireman, the grandmother, the psychiatric patient, the basketball player, the mute girl, the rich blonde, and the man in the wheelchair -- they all have secrets worth hiding. They can't trust each other. They can't even trust themselves.


Who is your publisher? or do you self-publish?
Self-published, though I’m not opposed to traditional publishing. For now, this works best for me.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
I tend to let ideas brew in my mind for months and sometimes years before completely plotting them out. Once I start mapping out the details, however, I can write the first draft of a novel-length story in three to four months – that’s assuming I have a day job to keep me busy.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I love urban and contemporary fantasy. I’ve already finished another contemporary fantasy novel but it’s for a younger audience. I’m also currently plotting out the second book in THE SURVIVORS series.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
Since childhood, I’ve been fascinated with superheroes and paranormal abilities. It’s what I enjoy and what I know, so it’s what I write.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
From my current novel, my favorite character is Dale Sadler. He’s not a nice person and always speaks his mind. He’s the complete opposite of me and is a blast to write.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Yes, I’m always open to giving out copies of the book in exchange for a review—they’re harder to come by than one would imagine!

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
So far, yes. They’ve been overwhelmingly positive, so it hasn’t been too hard. But each time, I cringe a little before I start.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
A brilliant friend of mine designed my awesome cover. Christoph Michaud of 7Reed Design is an amazing talent!

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
Plot, then title, then the actual writing.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
I have a personality roadmap for each character before I start writing. They may deviate at times, but don’t we all?

Where can readers follow you?

Your Website? http://DanielHarvell.com 
Your Facebook Page? http://Facebook.com/DanielHarvell75 
Your Goodreads Author
And any other information you wish to supply?
Daniel Harvell
Author of The Survivors

Purchase The Survivors e-book:

No comments:

Post a Comment