Tuesday 3 April 2012

EXCERPT - FROM FAME TO SHAME BY VERONICA BLADE





Excerpt:

“And what are your plans later tonight?” Dallas reached up to rub a lock of my hair between his thumb and finger.

“Plans?” My mouth went dry. He stood way too close and my concentration slipped.

“You always have plans.” His eyes caressed my face.

“Not tonight.” Somewhere deep in my soul, I knew that was the wrong answer. It opened the door to a date with him, which would lead straight to trouble. But when your brain stops working, telling the truth is so much easier.

“A friend told me that Josh Adams is jamming at Hanks Blues tonight.”

I nodded, since it was all I was capable of at the moment.

“We’ll have dinner there. I’ll pick you up at six.”

Preventing Dallas from making another date with me would’ve been smart. The words hovered in my throat, but I couldn’t force them out. Even if I didn’t reject his offer, I needed to say something. Or, at the very least, finish cleaning up after breakfast. And yet, I couldn’t move. I just stared into his eyes as they fixed on mine.

His gaze fell to my mouth, then he reached both hands up to cup my face and, inch by inch, brought his mouth to mine.

Our lips touched, feather-light. He shifted his body and brought his thighs against mine, but he didn’t deepen the kiss. He just skimmed the surface, gently teasing my mouth until my body hummed. Seconds stretched and my lungs stilled as I waited for his next move.

Then, slowly, he withdrew, keeping close enough that I still felt his warm breath against my skin. I couldn’t catch my breath. A thick haze clouded my brain and I worried he might ask me something, anything, that required a response and I’d slip up. Fear that I’d blow it for Jackie paralyzed me.

Oh, my God! Jackie! If she knew I’d just kissed the guy who dumped her, she’d be hurt and feel betrayed. Jackie didn’t need that, on top of everything else.

“I…” I had no idea what to say. I only knew that if someone didn’t say something soon and break the trance, I would betray Jackie worse than I already had. Because, more than anything, I wanted this guy, no matter how nice he was.


Available at Amazon.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment