Sunday 18 March 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - JENNA KAY


What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?

My full name is Jenna Kay Armour Pridgen.  I was born in Georgia and live in Georgia.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I had no clue that I wanted to be a writer...I didn't even like to read!  It just sort of hit me, I guess.  I'd gone to college to become a teacher but then I realized I hated school so why would I want to teach?  Anyway, I went to beauty school and became a cosmetologist.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I gave up my job as a hair stylist to become a stay-at-home mom of three.  That's my real job.  Writing is my second.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I started out self-published but was picked up by Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing. 

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
Mark of the Seer took me about a year and a half to write (it was my first stab at writing), and the second book in the series, Broken, only took six months.  I think it all depends on if I'm inspired or not.  Some days are writing days, and other days are “stare at the keyboard and do nothing” days.  At least, that's how it is in my case.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
Mark of the Seer was tough only because it was the first piece of work I'd written...ever.  Broken came very easily because I was super inspired to write it and get it down.  I'm working on the third in the series, but taking a break to work on my newest series.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
As of write now I only want to write YA paranormal fiction, though in the future I may be inspired to write in a different genre.


Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part o f a series?
The Seer Society will have five (maybe more) in the series.  I am also working on a new series called The Gracen Chronicles.  As of right now I plan to have three in it.  I'm hoping to have the first book finished sometime April and hopefully have it published (fingers crossed)! :)


What genre would you place your books into?
Definitely YA Paranormal Fiction

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
My routines change quite frequently having three kids in the mix.  I can write anywhere and music is a must.  Also, chocolate and coffee.  :)

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
Mark of the Seer was actually a self-published work before Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly took it on.  It was also originally called Clarity, but we thought a name change was beneficial.  Para Graphic did MOTS's cover, and I hope she does many more! ;)

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I have written an outline for every book I've written, though the outline is usually discarded because of multiple changes.  To me it's hard to write an outline and stick with it, since inspiration can hit whenever it feels like it.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
Oh yes, constantly!  The way I look at writer's block is this:  If you're sitting in front of the laptop and just staring at the keyboard...it's time for a break.  When an author is truly inspired they heat up the key with their rapid words.  The way I deal?  Push away from the desk, pop in my MP3, and take a long walk...by myself.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
Though my books are full of demons and the spiritual realm, there are also angels and light.  I want the reader to think, to speculate on the world we cannot see.  I also want them to know and to believe that no matter what they are going through that there is goodness and light in this world full of darkness.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
 Ebooks are popular but I prefer to hold the actual book in my hand, paperback or hardback.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I'm currently reading Ever Shade by Alexia Purdy, and I'm loving it!  Oh, and it's paperback!

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
 My children go to public school and fortunately they have awesome teachers there.  My boys are excellent readers and my oldest is already writing short stories.

Do you have a favourite genre of book?
I enjoy reading all types of genres, though my fave is YA paranormal fiction.

Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
Oh, there's a few things, but I think if us authors were to keep going back and changing, tweaking their work, the books would never get finished.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
 Surround yourself with positive people and just write!

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
Jenna Kay is my pen name (my first and middle).

Where can readers follow you?

Facebook

Goodreads

Twitter

Website/Blog



No comments:

Post a Comment