Wednesday 21 March 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - EMMALEE APLE





 
1. What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now? 

Emmalee Aple, I was born and raised in Wisconsin. 


2. Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be? 
I did always want to write, it started when I was in about 3rd grade. Although, I never really thought of it as a career until a few years ago. 


3. When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"? 

I first considered myself a writer when I finished the first draft of Neophyte, which at the time was called Torn. 


4. Did it take a long time to get your first book published? 

It did. But that was because my first draft needed lots and lots of TLC and editing. And I never really dedicated the time I needed to it. So it took quite a few years. 


5. Do you work another job as well as your writing work? 

I am a stay at home mom. So my other job requires me to take a lot of time for playing with my two monsters. 


6. What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say? 
Neophyte is the name of my debut novel, and if I had to summarize it in less than 20 words…. Sheesh, that’s hard… um… 





I don't often comment during these Interviews but had to add a little something her I do love this cover!

7. Who is your publisher? or do you self publish? I am currently self published, but I am actively looking for representation. 


8. How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it? 

If I actually sat down and wrote, it takes me about 4-5 months. But that is not including the many many versions of edits that come after writing it all out. 


9. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series? 
I am currently working on the second book in the Neophyte series, Rogue. It’s definitely a bit different, but I am enjoying the challenge of writing it. 


10. What genre would you place your books into? 
Young Adult/chick lit crossover. 


11. What made you decide to write that genre of book? 
It’s my favorite genre to read, so it just made sense to write it. 


12. Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair? 

I do actually have a routine. I listen to music, separate myself from my monsters and just let things flow. 


13. Do you read all the reviews of your book/books? 

Of course! Good or bad, the reviews help a writer grow and develop! 


14. What was the toughest/best review you have ever had? 
When my editor, read through it and commented as she went, some things were very hard to read, because your work in progress is your baby, but it was things I needed to hear and in the end, she was right in a lot of cases. 


15. Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books? 

Absolutely not. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I know I cannot please everyone! 


16. How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books? 
Well, Neophyte was originally titled, Torn. But it was not as fitting of a title as Neophyte. And plus, there are a lot of young adult books titled Torn. So I needed something different. I designed the cover for my book, I had my friend Stephanie, a local photographer, (Munchkin Moments by Stephanie) take the cover photo. Then another friend, Kerry Greil, worked her graphic artist magic on it and made it what it is now. I think they both did amazing work at bringing what I saw in my head out onto the cover. 


17. Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along? 
I actually flesh out all my characters before I write. I have them all in my head, separated and I know who is who and what is what before I even start writing. 


18. Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story? 
I am a let it flow type of girl. I know kind of where I need to get and what I need to accomplish, but then I just let it all go. 

19. Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"? 
I suffered a lot of writers block. Not so much the first time through writing it, but the second and third and 17th edits… those were hard at times. I took some advice from a friend, and read… A LOT. Like 8 books in a week. Until I could see where I needed to go with what I was writing. 


20. What do you do to unwind and relax?Do you have a hobby? 

I sew and craft. I love to create stuff. I also play with my kids. Nothing helps you unwind more than lunch inside a blanket fort.

 
21. Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you? 
I have. There are a few scenes in Neophyte that are from my life. And there are some scenes in Rogue that have happened to others that they have let me borrow from their lives. 



22. Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them? 
Penelope King. She is my favorite up and coming author. She is actually a good friend of mine, and has two great young adult series out right now. 


23. What piece of advice would you give to a new writer? 

Don’t give up! It’s hard work, but it’s very worth it. 


24. Do you or would you ever use a pen name? 
I do use a pen name. 


Where can readers follow you? 


Your blog details? www.emmaleeaple.com 
Your web site ? www.emmaleeaple.com 
Your facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?...
Your Goodreads author page?http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/575...
Your Twitter details? https://twitter.com/#!/EmmaleeAple 

1 comment:

  1. I like what she said about her editor! ;)

    ReplyDelete