Sunday 2 June 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - MICHELLE K. PICKETT


What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Michelle Pickett. I was born and raised in Flint, Michigan, but I now live in a small community outside Houston, Texas with my incredibly supportive husband, three school-aged children, a 125 pound “lap” dog and a very snooty cat.


Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Yes, being an author was always a dream of mine, but it wasn’t something I told people. In fact, I had written most of my first novel, Concilium, without my family knowing. I was what I call a “closet writer.”

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My latest book is titled PODs and releases June 4th this year.
It’s a post-apocalyptic story about a virus that kills the Earth’s population except for a select group of “Chosen people.”

Who is your publisher? or do you self-publish?
Spencer Hill Press is my publisher for PODs, The Infected (the sequel to PODs) and Milayna.
MuseItUp Publishing is the e-publisher for Concilium and Concilium: The Departure.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I like to write across genres, probably because I read many genres. Milayna is a paranormal trilogy, so you can expect a second and third book in that series. I have an urban fantasy that I am finishing up now. I also have a contemporary romance that I’m trying to find a home for. I have two outlines for books I have started yet. On is a young adult contemporary romance and the other is a new adult contemporary romance. So hopefully I’ll be blessed enough that you’ll be seeing me for a while.

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
I would have to say PODs is my favorite book. It came so easily to me and it is also my first traditionally published book so it holds a special place in my heart. But, I love all my books. I saw a quote that said asking a writer what their favorite book is, is like asking a mother who her favorite child is.  I think that is true. It’s hard to pick a favorite.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
I love Eva in PODs. She is intelligent and strong. I also really like David, her love interest in PODs.  But all my characters hold a special place in my heart. I love Chay from Milayna and Brody from my first contemporary romance that hasn’t found a publisher yet.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I sit at a small (tiny) desk shoved in a corner of my living room. I have to have my hoodie to write (I have no idea why). Sometimes I do listen to music, especially if a certain song relates to a scene I’m writing or my family is distracting me. Most of my books have playlists associated with them. They can be found on my website. I usually snack while writing. My favorite is Reese’s peanut butter cups or mini-Rolos. But I’m trying to kick that habit.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
My publisher distributes advanced reading copies of my books for me. I get very few to send out to reviewers, but I try to give them to as many as I can.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
No. I know not everyone is going to give me a good review, but sometimes people who give poor reviews don’t realize how hurtful they can be to a writer. There is a positive way to give a poor review. But saying that a book is horrible or the worst book they’ve ever read is just plain hurtful. So I try not to read any of my reviews.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I usually start with an idea and know what the beginning is and where I want the story to end, but the middle I free-write and let the characters take me where they want.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
Oh, yes! The dreaded writer’s block. We all suffer through it at one time or another. I usually just keep writing. Sometimes what I write is horrid and sometimes I free-write and come up with new ideas. I also write a lot in my journal. Reading is also a good way for me to overcome writer’s block because it helps me relax and escape into someone else’s world. The thing I don’t do is stop writing. I write something every day. Whether it’s a blog post, an interview, in my journal or my work in progress, whatever it is, I write every day.

What do you do to unwind and relax?Do you have a hobby?
I love doing anything with my family. They center me when I need to relax. I also love photography and drive everyone nuts with my camera. I love to take photos of eyes and faces. And I like to get those photos when the person isn’t aware of the camera. It’s just like stealing a moment in time.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
Yes. One day my son and I were driving to the dentist and we were teasing back and forth and I said he was silly and he replied, “I know, Mom, that’s why it’s so fun to be me.” I included that conversation in one of my books.

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
I love Olivia and Jai by Rebecca Ryman. I love the setting, historical India. She gives a lot of information of the traditions and customs. It has a great romance and it also has a bit of mystery involved, too. So it has it all!  Yes, I’ve read it so many times that I can probably tell you what page a specific scene is on!

Do you have a treasured book from your childhood? If yes, what is it?
Where the Red Fern Grows was my favorite book as a child. I still read it now—and I still cry at the end. 

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
I really enjoy Meradeth Houston’s books. She’s a fairly new author. Her first novel was published last year through MuseItUp Publishing titled, Colors Like Memories. She has another book titled, The Chemistry of Fate releasing this year. I enjoy her writing style and I think Colors Like Memories had the best first line I’ve ever read!  “I greeted his tombstone the way I always did—with a swift kick.” That line had me hooked right away. I wanted to know why a person would greet a tombstone that way, who the people were, and what situation they were in. It is just a great first line, in my opinion, to a terrific book.

Where can readers follow you?
I love to hear from readers and authors alike. You can reach me at:

Website:          www.Michelle-Pickett.com
Email:              Michelle@Michelle-Pickett.com
Blog:               www.Michelle-Pickett.com/blog
Twitter:           http://www.twitter.com/michelle_kp
Goodreads:     http://goodreads.com/michelle-pickett
PODs:             http://www.site.spencerhillpress.com/PODs.html
Amazon           http://amazon.com/author/michellepickett


Thank you so much for featuring me on your blog. Bloggers like you play such an important role in an author’s career.  You have no idea how instrumental you are in an author’s, and a book’s, success.  Thank you so much for thinking of me and PODs and including us on your blog. I am very thankful!
You are so welcome Michelle, thank you for taking the time to take part in the Author Interview.




2 comments:

  1. I love Michelle! I had the pleasure of meeting her and hanging out with her at BEA all this week. She's really amazing, funny, and just all around lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the shout-out, Michelle! I can't wait for PODs!!

    ReplyDelete