Wednesday 3 April 2013

APRIL 2013 RELEASES!


So this post is just designed to share with you the New Releases that are coming up in April that we like the look and sound of! Obviously we will lean towards our favourite genres but we will also try to throw in a book or two that are not our own typical genre favourite's. I will also add a comment or three to let you know what I think to the cover blurb and reason for including in this post.

 ZOMBIES DON'T FORGIVE
by
RUSTY FISCHER
ISBN: 9781605426365
Publisher: Medallion Press
Expected Release Date: 1st April 2013

BLURB from Goodreads
Following Barracuda Bay’s homecoming cum zombie Armageddon, fellow zombies Maddy, Dane, and Stamp have fled to Orlando where they work at a theme park, hiding in plain sight at their jobs in the Great Movie Monster Makeover show. The three spend most of their time together in their apartment trying to avoid curious Normals and Sentinels—humans and zombie cops. While Dane and Maddy draw closer, Stamp drifts away, falling for a mysterious blonde. But when the mysterious girl puts their existence in danger, all Maddy cares about is hunting the blonde down to separate her from her head.

I'll be totlly honest I aren't totally sold on this cover, I also preferred the alternative cover for Bk#1 too. I was lucky enough to be given a copy of BK#1 in this Series, and loved it and I've been given a mobi copy of Bk#2 too. If you want an interesting, somewhat different read then this is the book for you. I think it will appeal to the YA and Adult market that loves YA too!


THE SPARK
by
Krisitine Barnett
ISBN: 9780812993370
Publisher: Random House 
Expected Release Date: 9th April 2013

BLURB from Goodreads
The extraordinary memoir of a mother's love, commitment, and nurturing, which allowed her son, originally diagnosed with autism, to flourish into a universally recognized genius-and how any parent can help their child find their spark.

Today, at thirteen, Jacob is working on extending Einstein's theory of relativity, and is a paid researcher in quantum physics. Yet at three, after an autism diagnosis, Jacob was assigned to life-skills classes, his parents told to adjust their expectations. The goalpost was to be tying his own shoes at sixteen. Kristine's belief in the power of hope and the dazzling possibilities that can occur when we keep our minds open and learn to fuel a child's true potential changed everything.

I'd like to read this one myself as I'd like to learn more about Autism and how it affects the family. I have a good friend and her son has been diagnosed with Autism and she says so many people judge her and/or him when they are out and about. I think the only way these attitudes are going to change are when more people learn more about autism. I do like a "memoir" or "memoir style" book so I think I will enjoy reading this book on that level and reasoning too.

HOT BLOODED
(Jessica McClain Series)
by 
AMANDA CARLSON
ISBN: 9780316205214
Publisher: Orbit Books
Expected Release Date: 23rd April 2013

BLURB from Goodreads
It hasn't been the best week for Jessica McClain.
Her mate has been kidnapped by a Goddess hell-bent on revenge --- but Jessica is playing for keeps.
Because she's the only female werewolf in town...it comes with its own set of rules...and powers.
Aided by two vamps, two loyal Pack members, and one very reluctant human, Jessica must rescue her man while coming to terms with what being a wolf really means.
All in a day's work for a girl.

Well I have been "in on" these books from the very beginnning when I was sent the first Jessica McClain novella on paper in the form of a manuscript as I cannot read on a computer long enough to read a book without triggering a medical condition I have. I've read and loved all of this series so far and I don't see that changing. If you like the Women Of the Otherworld Series by Kelley Armstrong or the Rachel Vincent Shifter Series then you'll like this series. The covers are always dramatic and attractive and I love the main character of Jessica McClain, I mean what not to love about her, she's a shifter and she kicks butt male or female!


BELONGING
(Temptation Series)
by 
KAREN ANN HOPKINS
ISBN: 9780373210817
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Expected Publication Date: 30th April 2013

BLURB from Goodreads
I left everything I knew behind. 
But it was worth it. He was worth it. 
No one thought an ordinary girl like me would last two minutes living with the Amish, not even me. There are a lot more rules and a lot less freedom, and I miss my family and the life I once had. Worst of all, Noah and I aren't even allowed to see each other. Not until I've proven myself. 
If I can find a way to make it work, we'll be NOAH & ROSE 
Together forever. 
But not everybody believes this is where I belong.

This one is another Series that I have read Bk#1 in. I loved Bk#1 so much I recommended it to my mum and she loved it too. It's a romantic love story of a forbidden love, with clashing cultures, a relationship that shouldn't work that just does work purely and simply because of the love the young couple Noah and Rose share. I am looking forward to reading more about them in this second book. I think it will start where the other left off with Rose attempting to live the Amish way to please Noah's family. It will be interesting to see how she is coping without modern technology and learn how often she sees her own family now she is learning the Amish way.


THE KISSING BOOTH
by
BETH REEKLES
ISBN: 9780552568814
Publisher: Random House
Expected Publication Date: 25th April 2013

BLURB from Goodreads
Meet Rochelle Evans: pretty, popular - and never been kissed. Meet Noah Flynn: badass, volatile - and a total player. And also Elle's best friend's older brother... When Elle decides to run a kissing booth for the school's Spring Carnival, she locks lips with Noah and her life is turned upside down. Her head says to keep away, but her heart wants to draw closer - this romance seems far from fairy tale and headed for heartbreak. But will Elle get her happily ever after?
This one is from the new NA genre. NA stands for New Adult. Its sort of between YA (Young Adult) and Adult. So I'd say aimed at the 16 to 25+ age group. The Kissing Booth seems like a sweet romance type of book, that would appeal to many readers.


THE RULES
by 
STACEY KADE
ISBN: 9781423153283
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Expected Publication Date: 23rd April 2013

BLURB from Goodreads
1. Never trust anyone.
2. Remember they are always searching.
3. Don’t get involved.
4. Keep your head down.
5. Don’t fall in love.
Five simple rules. Ariane Tucker has followed them since the night she escaped from the genetics lab where she was created, the result of combining human and extraterrestrial DNA. Ariane’s survival—and that of her adoptive father—depends on her ability to blend in among the full-blooded humans in a small Wisconsin town, to hide in plain sight at her high school from those who seek to recover their lost (and expensive) “project.”
But when a cruel prank at school goes awry, it puts her in the path of Zane Bradshaw, the police chief’s son and someone who sees too much. Someone who really sees her. After years of trying to be invisible, Ariane finds the attention frightening—and utterly intoxicating. Suddenly, nothing is simple anymore, especially not the rules…
From the blurb, this one sounds "involved" something to get drawn into and literally get your teeth into reading. I haven't read anything by this author, so the book will be a new author experience for me. I am sort of "getting into" the more sci-fi/genetics related plot-lined books, so this one fits that genre very well.


MY EX FROM HELL
(The Blooming Goddess Trilogy)
by 
TELLULAH DARLING
ISBN: 9780988054035
Publisher: Te Da Media
Expected Publication Date: 1st April 2013

BLURB from Goodreads
Sixteen-year-old Sophie Bloom wishes she’d been taught the following:

a) Bad boy’s presence (TrOuBlE) + teen girl’s brain (DraMa) = TrAuMa (Highly unstable and very volatile.)
b) The Genus Greekulum Godissimus is notable for three traits: 1) awesome abilities, 2) grudges, and 3) hook-ups, break-ups, and in-fighting that puts cable to shame.

Prior to the Halloween dance, Sophie figures her worst problems involve adolescent theatrics, bitchy yoga girls, and being on probation at her boarding school for mouthy behaviour. Then she meets bad boy Kai and gets the kiss that rocks her world.
Literally.
This breath stealing lip lock reawakens Sophie’s true identity: Persephone, Goddess of Spring. She’s key to saving humanity in the war between the Underworld and Olympus, target numero uno of Hades and Zeus, and totally screwed.
Plus there’s also the little issue that Sophie’s last memory as Persephone was just before someone tried to murder her.
Big picture: master her powers, get her memories back, defeat Persephone’s would be assassin, and save the world. Also, sneak into the Underworld to retrieve stolen property, battle the minions of Hades and Zeus, outwit psycho nymphs, slay a dragon, rescue a classmate, keep from getting her butt expelled from the one place designed to keep her safe …
… and stop kissing Kai, Prince of the Underworld.
I like that this one seems like it'll be  quite funny as well as having a great story line. It's also a bit different to my usual genres of reading. It seems like it will be a lighter kind of read, which lets face it we all need at some point.


GIRLS & MONSTERS
(Anthology)
by 
ANNE MICHAUD
ISBN: 9781937771843
Publisher: Dark fuse
Expected Publication Date: 30th April 2013

BLURB from Goodreads
This dark but uplifting collection of five Young Adult novellas includes:
Death Song: Liz is in love with Joe, but the monster of the lake has other plans for them.
Black Dog: Scarlet is engaged in a struggle for her sanity, but according to the voice in her head, she may be too late.
A Blue Story: When Katherine's beloved dog goes missing, she fears her strange new neighbor might be involved.
Dust Bunnies: Christiane faces her childhood arachnophobia and ends up confronting even greater fears in this test of sisterhood.
We Left at Night: Brooke and her family must abandon their home and their lives to make it out of a disease-plagued town overrun by zombies.
Girls & Monsters is for everyone who has ever been brave enough to confront their childhood fears...and lived to tell about it.
I love a good anthology as regular followers of my blog will no doubt know because of me rattling on about them. Having said that for those new followers (hopefully I'm still gaining new followers?) the reasons are as follows, Anthologies are a brilliant way of trying new authors without committing to a full length book. Anthologies are great to dip in and out of when you are having "readers block" and lastly I love novella length books, they can be tasters of a series or just short fun tales.


THE SYMPTOMS OF MY INSANITY
by 
MINDY RAF
ISBN: 9780803732414
Publisher: Dial Books
Expected Publication Date: 18th April 2013

BLURB from Goodreads
A laugh-out-loud, bittersweet debut full of wit, wisdom, heart, and a hilarious, unforgettable heroine.
When you’re a hypochondriac, there are a million different things that could be wrong with you, but for Izzy, focusing on what could be wrong might be keeping her from dealing with what’s really wrong.
I almost raised my hand, but what would I say? “Mr. Bayer, may I please be excused? I’m not totally positive, but I think I might have cancer.” No way. Then everyone at school would know, and they would treat me differently, and I would be known as “Izzy, that poor girl who diagnosed herself with breast cancer during biology.”
But Izzy’s sense of humor can only get her so far when suddenly her best friend appears to have undergone a personality transplant, her mother’s health takes a turn for the worse, and her beautiful maybe-boyfriend is going all hot and cold. Izzy thinks she’s preparing for the worst-case scenario, but when the worst-case scenario actually hits, it’s a different story altogether—and there’s no tidy list of symptoms to help her through the insanity.
Will I read this book? Truthfully I am not totally sure. I tend to turn off when books mention cancer. I don't know what it is, I know it happens in real life, I've lost loved loves ones to the horrid disease. I just feel I don't particularly want to read about the illness. Maybe it's just me but this book seems to be making light of the disease? Maybe I should read it to find out? The blurb does say Izzy is a hypochondriac, so . . . . .


THE ELITE
(THE SELECTION)
by
KIERA CASS
ISBN: 9780062059963
Publisher: Harper Teen
Expected Publication Date: 23rd April 2013

BLURB from Goodreads
Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.
Mmm  definitely one I am eagerly looking forward to! Look at that gorgeous cover, another beautiful dress! I recently read The Prince, which I loved reading about things from Maxon's point of view. The only down side was it really really made me want to read The Elite like now now now! I think if I was to receive an ARC of this one I'd ave to literally "drop everything" and sit and read it right away! Though with the expected publishing date so close I doubt I'm in line for an ARC *sigh*

THE PROGRAM
by
SUZANNE YOUNG
ISBN:
Publisher: 9781442445802
Expected Publishing Date: 30th April 2013

BLURB from Goodreads
In Sloane’s world, true feelings are forbidden, teen suicide is an epidemic, and the only solution is The Program.Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.
Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in. And The Program is coming for them.
This one has been on "wow I fancy reading that one" list for some time now, and its still there I am not wavering on this one. The cover makes you want to know more about the people on it holding hands, who are they? where I they going? why are they wearing those yellow suits? Then you get to the blurb, which impresses me further, making me want to read the book even more! The Program is seen as a cure for the suicide problem, but, it takes away much, much more than the desire to commit suicide. There is also the "big brother" element to the book, being constantly watched. Yes I really really really want to read this one. I'd also love to know where the author got the idea for this book.

TAKEN
by
ERIN BOWMAN
ISBN: 9780062117267
Pubisher: Harper Teen
Expected Publication Date: 16th April 2013

BLURB from Goodreads
There are no men in Claysoot. There are boys—but every one of them vanishes at midnight on his eighteenth birthday. The ground shakes, the wind howls, a blinding light descends…and he’s gone.

They call it the Heist.

Gray Weathersby’s eighteenth birthday is mere months away, and he’s prepared to meet his fate–until he finds a strange note from his mother and starts to question everything he’s been raised to accept: the Council leaders and their obvious secrets. The Heist itself. And what lies beyond the Wall that surrounds Claysoot–a structure that no one can cross and survive.

Climbing the Wall is suicide, but what comes after the Heist could be worse. Should he sit back and wait to be taken–or risk everything on the hope of the other side?
I love the colour's on this cover, I find the cover really attractive actually. I want to know who the two figures on it are. Then I read the blurb and wow I do sooo want to read the book. Wats the Heist? why does it exist? what does the note say? Does Gray survive/escape the heist? I seem to love books that have societies with secrets in them! So yep this one is set firmly on my wishlist /to read list.

ACID
by
EMMA PASS
ISBN: 9780552566148
Publisher: Corgi/Randome House Children's
Expected Publication Date: 25th April 2013 (UK)

BLURB from Goodreads
2113. In Jenna Strong’s world, ACID – the most brutal, controlling police force in history – rule supreme. No throwaway comment or muttered dissent goes unnoticed – or unpunished. And it was ACID agents who locked Jenna away for life, for a bloody crime she struggles to remember.

The only female inmate in a violent high-security prison, Jenna has learned to survive by any means necessary. And when a mysterious rebel group breaks her out, she must use her strength, speed and skill to stay one step ahead of ACID – and to uncover the truth about what really happened on that dark night two years ago.
I was drawn to the kick-butt hard looking female on the front as I do love a tough female character. Then I read the blurb and felt drawn a little more. This one is set in the future, 2113 to be exact and the kick-butt female has got busted out of a kick-butt prison. She was in there for a crime she can't remember. . . .so what did she do that was so bad? who busted her out and why? what do they want from her? Yes I quite fancy reading this one too. And we UK readers are getting it first! Expected publication date of 25th April 2013 where as our fellow readers in the US have to wait right up until 2014! So I want to read and review it and let them know if they need to put it on their 2014 wishlists or not.

So to sum up April looks like another super brilliant month for New Releases!
I can't wait to read some of these titles! well I have already read Zombies Don't forgive by Rusty Fischer so I suppose I've made a start! And there's loads more title that I haven't featured here, check out Rachel's List of April New Releases too. If like me you can't wait I've included the purchase links for all the above mentioned titles below!


PURCHASE LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment