Dancing Naked in Dixie
When you've grown up in the snow and cold, it's quite a switch to adapt to life in the bright sun and intense humidity of the Deep South.
Southerners dress for style and comfort. If you plan on visiting South of the Mason Dixon line, here are the Top Ten Clothing Items to pack in your family's suitcases:
1. Little Girls - Smocked Dresses
2. Big and Little Girls - Hair bows to match each outfit (the larger the better!)
3. Little Boys - John Johns (also often smocked)
4. Bigger Boys - SEC Football Wear (Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, etc)
5. Young Ladies - Ensembles embroidered with sorority letters
6. Young Men - Khaki slacks, golf shirt or SEC Football wear
7. Men - Seersucker suit
8. Ladies - Linen outfit, tasteful sundress, conservative cotton frock, wrap
9. Everyone - Hats, broad-brimmed, straw or similar natural fiber
10. Everyone - Accessories (Hat, shoes, clutch, jewelry)
Of course, Mardi Gras and special holiday events call for gowns and tuxedos. Time at the beach require cover-ups and bathing suits. How about any other favorite Southern clothing traditions?