Saturday 12 May 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - MARY MARTINEZ





What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?

Easy to answer, my name is Mary Martinez and I was born in Salt Lake City, UT. I live in a little town named Magna, it’s about 13 miles west of Salt Lake City. I love it, it’s small town, but close enough to the city.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
Yes I do. I work for the state of Utah. I do dictations of appeal decisions and edit them for the judges. So pretty much what I do with my writing. Edit.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My latest book is Disappear, the first book of The Beckett Series. “Circumstances throw Tyler and Keira together. To survive they have to run from the hit-man in order to catch him.” Wow, this one made me think, though it was 20 words on the nose and not ‘less.’

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I have a series of YA books that I’m writing with my three oldest grandsons. I have few women’s fiction and a thriller. So I have a lot and all different genres. Will these be out in the next year? Nope, give me a few. These things take time.

How long have you been writing? and who or what inspired you to write?
I have been seriously writing for 12 years. I’ve always wanted to write, and I started when my kids were young, but it didn’t work out so well so I waited until they were grown. Who inspired me? Stephen King, Nora Roberts, Kathleen E. Woodiwiss. Yes I have a diverse interest in books.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
 Yes I do, sometimes I wished I didn’t. Most of my reviews, even the not so flattering have something I can take to use for my next book. I try to think of them as constructive criticism. I’d much rather have that than someone just tell me what I want to hear.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
No I would not. What is the point? The reviewer is a reader and not all readers are going to like your work.

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?
I love to read—of course. My husband and I are concert ho’s we pretty much want to do them all. I love to write to music also. As for a hobby? Cooking, finding the best wine out there (I can afford) and travel.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
In my grandkids schools, they’ve actually written a book and the school had it made into a small hardcover. They loved it. I don’t know about other schools, but ours in this area are doing a great job.

What do you think about book trailers?
Most of them I love. Though I can get carried away in the making of them. And I think every one I do is my best. Then I do the next, and it’s the best.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Find a writing group. Find a critique partner and NEVER give up.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
Here is another eclectic group again. I’d invite, Quentin Tarantino, Stephen King and Nora Roberts.

Thank you again for having me, it’s been fun!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me here today! I will be away from my computer most the day, but I will check in later.

    I loved the questions on the interview, made me think.
    Mary,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, Mary! I'm not sure I would want to have dinner with Stephen King, though... He's a scary dude! ROFL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have certainly expanded my horizon of authors. Enjoying reading Disappear HIGHLY recommend to all who enjoy a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, I love Stephan! You want to have lunch with Kathleen e. woodiwiess, am I right?

    Thank you jake!

    ReplyDelete