Thursday 3 May 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - ROSE VANDEN EYNDEN





If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?

What a dream come true, to be able to sit and socialize with my favorite writers! Well, I would have to invite Neil Gaiman, author of American Gods, but I’m afraid that my husband would be jealous if I did because he knows how much I love him. J I would certainly enjoy talking to Marion Zimmer Bradley, author of my all-time favorite book, The Mists of Avalon. I suppose she would have to join us from the afterlife. And while we’re bantering with folks who are in spirit, I would want to have a serious conversation with William Shakespeare to see if he really did write all of those plays.


What do you think about book trailers?

I love the idea of book trailers! What a great way for potential readers to experience your new work! And I will shamelessly plug the book trailer for Merlyn’s Raven, which was made for me by my talented twin sons, Max and Ben:



What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?

Read, read, read! The best way to learn what makes a story work is to read voraciously. Study plot and dialogue to get a feel for the way a good story moves and how dialogue needs to sound. Listen to the world around you and pay attention to detail. Write as much as you can, even if it’s just to describe a mundane scene around you. Working on your craft makes you a better writer. Grow a thick skin and don’t be afraid to ask for criticism. Any feedback will teach you something about your work and your personality.


Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?

My publisher, Soul Mate Publishing, is just brimming with wonderful new romance authors! I would encourage everyone to go to Soul Mate’s site and check out all of the Soul Sisters, especially if you love romance. There is paranormal romance, contemporary romance, historical romance—definitely something special for everyone! www.soulmatepublishing.com

Did you have a favourite author as a child?

I read a great deal as a child. The Nancy Drew books were a big influence on me. I read them all at a very young age. I also loved Ellen Raskin. Her books were funny puzzles that always had a satisfying ending. As a teenager, I fell in love with S.E. Hinton’s books and emulated her. I dreamed of writing a classic teenage story that generations to come would read.


What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?

Well, if I could figure this out, I’d definitely have a bestseller on my hands, right? J For me, a good book must have compelling characters and an engaging plot. I like a little angst, too, because this gives more depth and emotion to the characters and the story. When you get right down to it, there aren’t that many new stories to tell, which means the way they are told and the characters who interact in them have to be fresh and original.


Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

Right now, I do, and I would expect I will continue to do so. I am grateful that anyone wants to take the time to read my books and engage with them enough to write a review. This means I’ve touched something in them in some way. And a little constructive criticism never hurt anyone. I would not read vitriolic reviews, however. There is no reason to tear anyone down if you are reviewing something. That sort of negative reaction has no value whatsoever.


Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?

I’d have to say Myrddin is my favorite character in Merlyn’s Raven. He is smart and compassionate and loving, and I enjoy the magick and the prophecy that he can employ. And since the book is a fantasy romance written from his lover Gwendydd’s point of view, I have to be just a little in love with Myrddin to write her story. So yes, he is my favourite.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Rose (she waves),

    Nice to 'see' you again. Merlyn's Raven sounds wonderful, and I LOVE the cover. Best of luck with it. And your sons did a fab job on your trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rose! Callie's right, your cover and trailer are wonderful :) congrats and best wishes in all your projects.

    ReplyDelete