Saturday 26 May 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - RACHEL RAWLINGS



What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now? 

Hi.  I’m Rachel Rawlings born in Baltimore, Maryland and currently living in Aberdeen, Maryland.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
 I think deep down I always wanted to be a writer.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?  
I would have to say when I got my first rejection letter from a major publishing house.  I didn’t matter that they weren’t accepting new talent in my genre any longer.  They read it.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work? 
I work full time managing a salon in Ellicott city, MD.  It’s a family business.  My mom and I are partners.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?  
The Morrigna is a slightly dark, action packed Paranormal/Urban Fantasy with a strong female lead.
(Hmmm a strong female lead, am thinking this one will be going on my wishlist to read!)



Who is your publisher? or do you self publish? 
I’m proud to say I am a self published or Indie author.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?  
About a year.  I only get to write a couple hours a day if at all.  If you total all the hours up it’d be about a year.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?  
The Morrigna was definitely easier to write than the one I am currently working on.  I had a set routine.  I’d write every night after the kids went to sleep.  Right now my writing is sporadic.
 
What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?  
As of right now I’ll be staying in my genre.  I read and write in the Paranormal Genre.  I know what I like.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series? 
The Morrigna is part of The Maurin Kincaide Series.  I am writing book two Witch Hunt right now.  Book three Blood Bath and a couple novellas are clamouring for attention too.

What genre would you place your books into? 
Paranormal/Urban fantasy.

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite? 
The Morrigna will always hold a special place in my heart because regardless of its reviews , acceptance or even sales.  It’s my baby.  I am totally in to Witch Hunt though.  I love the way it is flowing and the characters are really taking over.

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?  
Definitely Maurin, despite her issues she’s the bad ass I’d like to be.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration? 
That’s an interesting question.  The ideas just sort of come to me.  I’ll be doing something totally random like vacuuming and bam!  I have an idea.  I’m a very organic writer.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair? 
Does listening to my kids argue count?  With three kids running around it’s hard to keep any kind of a routine. lol

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?  
My husband is a great sounding board.  I bounce ideas off him and he helps  me with research and development.  My best friend Cory and another good friend Stephanie read a few chapters at a time to make sure I’m staying on track.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?  
I do give books for review but never pay for reviews.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books? 
I do.  I read them all, the good the bad and the ugly.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had? 
The toughest was that I was not a professional writer who was in desperate need of an editor.  The reviewer closed out with a comment along the lines of they were glad they borrowed the book.  It’s probably the best review too though honestly.  It’s a challenge to be better and to show people that I can do it.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?  
No never.  I don’t believe in manipulating the reviews.  People have the right to say what they feel so long as it isn’t mean for the sake of being mean.  The review I just mentioned is up on Amazon and that’s where it will stay.  The reviewer doesn’t have to like my book.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books? 
I put my covers together myself.  I don’t actually do the artwork.  It’s a lot of searching to find the right image and then I get the rights and tweak it.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title? 
The plot outline usually comes first.  Once I  get an idea of what the book will be about I’ll come up with a title.

How do you market/promote your books? 
I do a lot on FaceBook right now.  I hope to do some conventions next year.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?  
I prefer hardback but my budget prefers the more economical ebooks.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?  
I’m always disappointed in the book to movie cross over.  They always cut so much out.  Though The Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Harry Potter series were both very well done.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback) 
I’m currently reading Abraham Lincoln, Vampire hunter in paperback.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
 I hope not but the industry is definitely changing.

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
I read all the time in school.  In fact I would get in trouble on days we were reading aloud because I was always chapters ahead.  The teachers thought I wasn’t paying attention because I couldn’t pick up where the last person left off.  I had notebooks full of incomplete stories and still have a composition book full of poems I wrote in school.

Did you have a favourite author as a child? 
Not necessarily a favourite author but I loved choose Your Own Adeventure books.  They were the best!  I had one with a princess, elves and dragons.  I read it over and over again.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
 Blood and Gold from Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles.  I tried but couldn’t get passed chapter three.  I’m still sad about it because I’m a huge fan of her work.

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
I really like J.D. Brown and Blaze McRob’s work.  C.J Ellison Is great  too.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?  
Thick skin.  You’ve got to be prepared for the rejections.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?  
Mark Twain, Stephen King and Anne Rice.

Where can readers follow you? 

Your blog details?
Your web site? currently under construction
Your facebook page?  The Maurin Kincaide Series
Your Goodreads author page? Rachel Rawlings
Your Twitter details? @rachelsbooks


  


No comments:

Post a Comment