Wednesday 9 May 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - JANET EDWARDS





What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?

I was born and still live in England, though I’ve moved area several times.


When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?

I’ve just reached the point of actually holding an advanced review copy of my first book, and being asked to sign copies for people, so probably about three days ago.


What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?

The book is EARTH GIRL.

2788. Jarra’s faulty immune system means she’s an outcast who can only survive on Earth. Can she prove she’s human?


Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?

My English language publisher for the UK and Commonwealth is the excellent Voyager imprint of HarperCollins. My German language publisher is Rowohlt. News of any further developments will appear on my website www.janetedwards.com


Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?

EARTH GIRL is the first book in a trilogy. I’m currently working on books two and three. 


What genre would you place your books into?

EARTH GIRL is young adult/adult science fiction. I can also drift into the areas of fantasy.


What made you decide to write that genre of book?

I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy as a child. When I tried writing it myself, it felt very natural and was a lot of fun.


How long have you been writing, and who or what inspired you to write?

I’ve been writing for about four and a half years, though I dabbled a little before that. In a sense, every book I’ve ever read and enjoyed has inspired me to try writing myself.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from? What/Who is your inspiration?

I suffer from far too many ideas. Often at about three in the morning. I have to wake up and write down some notes before an idea will leave me in peace. I’ve got enough plots queuing for about twenty more books.


Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? Ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?

Mornings are good for me. I wake up and write. 


Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them? Ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?

My husband is the only one who reads them before they go to my agent and then my publisher.


Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

I usually have a working title, but it can change before the book is completed.


How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?

Sometimes they are just instantly in my head, sometimes I have to go through a lot of names and look for what feels right. Baby name web sites can be very helpful for naming characters.


Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?

I start with a character and a situation and see where they take me. Writing a sequel is different, because there I know the characters and the world. In that case, I usually know the starting point, the destination, and some of the places along the way between them.


What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?

I paint watercolour landscapes. I am extremely bad at it so I can just relax and have fun. I believe there is a skilled artist called Janet Edwards in the USA. She is not me.


 Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?

No, it is far more fun to invent my own people, events and worlds.


Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?

They are all good in different circumstances, though reading ebooks in the bath is probably a bad idea.


Where can readers follow you?

Your web site? www.janetedwards.com
Your facebook page? http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000254823488&sk=photos#!/JanetEdwardsSF 
Your Goodreads author page? http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5415711.Janet_Edwards
Your Twitter details? @JanetEdwardsSF

No comments:

Post a Comment