Friday 4 May 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - LIZ SCHULTE





What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?

My name is Liz Schulte. I was born in Missouri, and I still live in Missouri.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
I considered myself a writer once I had a clear road to publication mapped out. Even after I finished my first book and I was looking into agents and publishers, I still didn’t consider myself a writer. I just need some sort of external validation.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My latest book is Choices (Guardian Trilogy Book 2). Two people who love each other dearly finding their way back together under impossible circumstances.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
Choices was the hardest book to write. It is told from 3 different points of view, so really getting into each character’s head and understanding their emotions and where they were coming from was difficult.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I will have the third part to this urban fantasy trilogy coming out this fall and another mystery novel coming out this summer. I imagine in the future those will be my two primary genres to write in.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
I think Holden is my favorite character. He honestly does pretty much whatever he wants. He makes no effort to be nice to anyone, and he is tough as nails. He is so much fun write and so surly that he makes me laugh.

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?
I would be Ella from Dark Corners (my first mystery novel). She has had a hard life, but she is a full time author, has a certain disregard for what other people think of her, and she lives in the haunted house, how cool is that?

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Sure. I am always looking for people who want to do reviews.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
Not at all. Not every book is for every person, so I know not everyone will love my book. I try not to take it personally.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
I write the book first. And then agonize over the title for the next few weeks.

Are character names and place names decided after their creation? or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?
All of that is decided after their creation. I like to get to know my characters as I write. Piece by piece as the story goes on a get a better feel for the characters until they almost seem read in my head.

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
I love Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre. I have read them both about a 30 times. I also love the Harry Potter and Dresden Files books too.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
It really depends on the book and how faithful the film makers decide to be to it. Some books might not transfer well whereas others did a wonderful job (The Godfather, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc.)

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I am reading Stephen King’s 11/22/63. I am enjoying it very much. Stephen King is a master of his craft.

Did you have a favourite author as a child? I loved R.L. Stine, Christopher Pike and L.J. Smith as a kid. I kept a lot of those books and still read them occasionally now.

Do you have a treasured book from your childhood? If yes, what is it?
Definitely Where the Wild Things Are and Charlotte’s Web. I loved both of those books so much. There was also a series called Sweet Pickles and a character named Goof Off Goose who I liked a lot.

Do you have a favourite genre of book?
I like a little bit of everything. I am willing to try anything, but I have a soft spot for anything Jane Austen related.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
I could not finish Eat Pray Love. I tried to read it with a good of girls I went to high school with, but it just wasn’t my type of book.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
To start talking to other writers, join a writing group, and soak up all the knowledge you can. Also to hire a good editor.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
Jane Austen, Edgar Allan Poe, and Hunter S. Thompson. It would be the strangest dinner party ever, but I think I would quite enjoy it.

Where can readers follow you?

Your blog details?
www.LizSchulte.com


Your Facebook page?
https://www.facebook.com/AuthorLizSchulte

Your Twitter details?
@LizSchulte





1 comment: