Wednesday 8 August 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - JANA OLIVER




What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
I’m Jana Oliver, I was born in Iowa and I currently reside in the Atlanta, Georgia metro area.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I think when I was in sixth grade I wanted to be a spy. Instead I became a registered nurse. It wasn’t until many years down the line I felt the consuming need to write my stories.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
No, I am a fulltime writer.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
The latest (and final) book in the Demon Trappers Series is entitled FORETOLD. It’s the tale of two people facing their past while trying to protect the world from Hell.


Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
My UK publisher is Macmillan Children’s Books.

Do you have a "lucky charm" or "lucky routine" you follow when waiting for your book to be accepted by a publisher?
To keep from worrying too much, I read English murder mysteries. I started doing that a long time ago and so it’s become a habit.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
Depending on the type of book, it’s usually between 6 and 7 months. If the book is an historical, then it’s closer to 9 months due to all the research.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
The first book in a series is always easier than the rest, which are harder as you have more backstory to layer in while (hopefully) not boring the reader.

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
My favourite book is usually the one I’ve just written. In this case, FORETOLD is definitely my fave because it wraps up the series in such a neat way.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
Denver Beck is my favourite character. He’s a true hero with lots of flaws and I love writing his scenes because he has so many layers.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
The music changes based on the scene I’m writing. Sometimes it’s classical music, other times it’s rock, pop, Celtic or even country. I make sure my chair is comfy and then I go to work. Other than that I have no set routine.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them? ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
I have beta readers, as I call them, who read the third draft and make suggestions how I can make the story better. My spouse reads the final draft to catch inconsistencies as he’s very good at that task.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
No. Once a reviewer has issued their judgment, there’s not much you can do.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books?
I come up a title and then run it past my editor. If she likes it, we go with it. If not, I have to dream up new ones. The cover design is handled by the publisher and I do get input on that, though I usually defer to their expertise because they have a really good eye for graphics.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
I spend a good deal of time working on character names. I have books filled with names, what they mean and their origin. For example: Riley’s full name is Riley Anora which means “valiant light”. I did that on purpose as that’s the way I see her. In the case of my series, other than the town of Sadlersville, which does not exist, the places can be located on a map.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it? (ebook, hardback or paperback)
I’m currently reading GUNMETAL MAGIC by Ilona Andrews and I’m loving it. It’s an e-book.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
No, I don’t. I think there will always be those readers who prefer to hold a paper book in their hands. Though e-readers have come really far in the last few years, they can’t duplicate that experience.

Do you have a favourite genre of book?
I’m a rabid Urban Fantasy lover, followed closely by mysteries.

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
I’m eagerly awaiting the 2013 debut of THE FALCONER by Elizabeth May (who also happens to be the cover model on my UK Demon Trappers Series). I had the joy of reading an early draft and the story was incredible.
Mmmm, have just read the blurb on Goodreads and it sounds really interesting and right up my street as the saying goes. So that is now added to my lengthening wishlist.

Where can readers follow you?

Your Blog Details?
My blogs are on my Jana Oliver and Demon Trappers UK websites. (listed below)

Your Web Site?

Your Facebook Page?

Your Goodreads Author Page?

Your Twitter Details?
@crazyauthorgirl

And any other information you wish to supply?
No, I think this covers it. Thanks!


I just want to say a large thank-you to Jana Oliver for taking the time to take part in an Interview for my blog! I have thoroughly enjoyed your Demon Trappers Series and look forward to whatever is coming next in your writing!

1 comment: