Saturday 25 August 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - SHERRY GLOAG


What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now? 
I write under the name Sherry Gloag, I was born in the English county of Surry and now live in the English county of Norfolk, not for from the Royal’s estate of Sandringham.  All that said, I am a Scot!

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
From first submission to acceptance about three months and two rejections before acceptance, then a further four months (I think) to publication

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
No job For A Woman
When faced with losing everything she values, Deborah discovers love is all she needs.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
Sweet Cravings Publishing is due to release No Job For a Woman shortly  (Release date pending)

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
It depends.  I have written a novella in ten days.  Then gone back to edit, - taking another two weeks.  But I have also, twice, taken several years to write a novel.  No Job For a Woman took two years, was set aside, and then re-written over a further period of twelve months.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
Normally I’d describe myself as an author of contemporary romance with a touch of suspense, but No Job For a Woman is my first Regency Romance novel, and I have another Regency, Vidal’s Honor, coming out later this year with Astraea Press.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
No Job For a Woman is a single title, but I do hope to write more Regency stories in the future.

What genre would you place your books into?
I write mainstream sweet contemporary romance with a touch of suspense, and have discovered I’ve carried the suspense over to my Regency novels.


Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite? 
I’ve heard authors say ‘the one they are writing now’ and can understand why they say it for I find it is true.  That said the characters from The Brat and Duty Calls are all special.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from? What/Who is your inspiration?
The characters turn up with an idea, scene, sentence and I go from there. 

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Yes, Sometimes I don’t find them until they’ve been around a while.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
The toughest one appeared on Amazon for one of my Gasquet Princes series and then disappeared. The best was the first review I ever received.
A Link to a good review is here;
http://firepages.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/the-brat-by-sherry-gloag/

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
No.  While I may not like what some say, they are entitled to their opinion.  And if it is constructive I can learn from it. 

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
I have written to a title, but usually it comes when I am into the book. In both cases, it is usually the characters who give me the title.  They are pretty much in charge from start to finish.  We do have a few set-toos along the way, but eventually we find a happy medium over the most acrimonious disputes  lol.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I am what is known as a ‘pantser’ writer.  If I do any plotting it is usually the link between chapters, or perhaps on occasions when I know something that happens at the start of the book will come up again later, then I’ll make notes at the end of the chapter so I can refer back to them.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
Oh yes!  Too often for my liking.  I open a new page, head it up ‘freewriting’ and simply write.  Sometimes it has nothing to do with the wip, but many a time I’ve had some very unexpected offerings I’ve been able to slot into my stories.

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?
I love reading. I enjoy walking, gardening and crystal craft work. I also enjoy music, and photography.

Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
Too many to mention them all, but Nora Roberts, Georgette Heyer are two, but also so many more.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
Paperback. I love the feel of them, and I don’t have to rely on charging batteries and stuff J I guess I’ll join the modern age before long, but I’m not in a hurry to ditch my paperbacks. I do have a kindle reader on my PC!

What is your favourite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?
Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, and I’ve read it hundreds of times.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst book to movie transfer?
Generally, no.  But – along with most of the female population Colin Firth’s version of Pride and Prejudice tops the best of the best.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books? 
Until everyone has/can afford a computer I can’t see ebooks taking over completely.

Do you have a favourite genre of book?
Mainstream and Regency  romance tops the bill for me, but I enjoy biographies, murder mysteries, detective stories too.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
Because I read for pleasure, I don’t enjoy books that leave me ‘up in the air’ or feeling downbeat at the end.

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
I recently acquired Chynna T. Laird’s Out of Sync and was blown away by her writing.  She writes from the heart and drew me into her story almost immediately.
Kay Springsteen, Patricia Kiyono, J. Gunnar Grey.  All have more than one book published, but all have distinct and powerful writing styles, and these are just a few authors out of several.

Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
I had to think about this question, and decided that apart from the odd small tweaks, no there isn’t anything I’d change.

What do you think about book trailers?
I have made four, and enjoyed the experience.  The one for The Brat had over 1k hits, but those didn’t translate into an equal number of sales.(Wish they had! Lol) The others have enjoyed some views but again, I have no proof those views garnered any extra sales either.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Enjoy the experience, believe in yourself, and be prepared to work hard, at every aspect of the writing spectrum. But most of all, write.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
I do use a pen name. – Sherry Gloag.

Where can readers follow you?

Your Blog details?  http://sherrygloagtheheartofromance.blogspot.co.uk/

Your Web site? http://www.sherrygloag.com

Your Twitter details? http://twitter.com/SherryGloag





3 comments:

  1. Thank you for inviting me guest with you. I enjoyed your list of questions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming by Kathleen :-)

    ReplyDelete