Sunday 19 August 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW & PROMOTIONAL SPOTLIGHT - MISA RUSH





What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Melissa Rush. Misa is my nickname from grade school. I was born in Richmond, Indiana and currently reside in Gilbert, Arizona with my husband and two children.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I wanted to be an Olympic gymnast, but my body thought differently.  I’ve always enjoyed writing, but it wasn’t until a few years ago that I considered writing a book. As a funny side note, in second grade I was not allowed in the gifted program because they said I wasn’t creative.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
Yes. I own an insurance agency. 

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
 My book title is FAMILY PIECES. Stunned by the unexpected death of her mother, Karsen Woods’s life spirals as she searches for a missing necklace piece.   (Wow, that’s hard to do.)
BLURB from Goodreads
What do you do when your once charmed life falls to pieces? 
Karsen Woods' life seems charmed from her hunkalicious boyfriend to her picture-perfect midwestern roots. Away at college, even the necklace she wears serves as a constant connection home - a family tradition created when her grandfather handmade each immediate relative an interlinking charm. Each piece crafted in the shape of a puzzle piece, each one interlinking perfectly together. But when the unexpected death of her mother turns her world upside down, she discovers there is a missing piece of her treasured family tradition and her life as she once knew it may never be the same.
Addison Reynolds resides in her posh Manhattan condominium and wraps her personal identity around running Urbane, the magazine empire built by her father. In a moment of haste, Addison divulges her deepest secret to her closest friend Emily - a secret she never intended to disclose. 
Could one choice, one secret, bond two unlikely women forever?


Available at Amazon.co.uk

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
My book took two years from inception to completion juggling a full time business and two pregnancies to boot. 

What genre would you place your books into?
 Chick lit/women’s fiction

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know? 
I had my entire book club read it, but they didn’t know at the time that I wrote it. I wanted honest feedback and I definitely got more than I bargained for. I appreciated the critique and it helped me revise the areas that weren’t working. 


Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Yes, gladly!

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Yes, but it is the hardest thing to do. Luckily, being an insurance agent helped thicken my skin.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
 No. They’re entitled to their opinion. However, I do appreciate that they are respectful. They can dislike the book without being hurtful.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
 My character names came from different places. A few were on our “favorites” list from when we were naming our kids. Others were chosen based on popular names from the time frame of when they would have been born.

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
 I wish I knew, right? I believe it is a combination of a well-developed story, timing and some magic fairy dust that sparks word of mouth. 

 Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
 I don’t really believe in writer’s block. The easiest way to get past it is to just keep writing and know you are the only one who ever has to see it. As long as the words are flowing, you can go back and revise, revise, revise later.

What do you do to unwind and relax?Do you have a hobby?
I used to run a lot. Now, I spend almost all of my free time with my kids, ages six and two. 

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
 I’ve never been fond of hardback books. I prefer paperback or ebook. The nice thing about ebooks are that they are available instantaneously and you can travel with an entire library at your fingertips.

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
 Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. Yes, I’ve read it several times. It was the book that made me love to read. The beginning of the book was tedious, but by the end I couldn’t put it down and didn’t see the plot twist coming. It made me realize that novels were like little movies on paper.

Do you think books transfer to movies well?
 Yes, as long as they maintain the integrity of the book.

Do you have a favourite genre of book?
 Anything women’s fiction, but not pure romance. I like Emily Giffin, Sophie Kinsella and Jodi Picoult type books.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
 I probably won’t be reading FIFTY SHADES OF GREY or THE HUNGER GAMES. (I may be the only one. )
(No, I also won't be reading Fifty Shades Of Grey! I will be reading The Hunger Games at some point though.)

Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
 Of course, I’m my own worst critic.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
The three ladies above would be great, Emily Giffin, Sophie Kinsella and Jodi Picoult.

Where can readers follow you?

www.misarush.com
www.facebook.com/familypieces


Your Goodreads author page?  Misa Rush


Your Twitter details? @MisaRush

No comments:

Post a Comment