Sunday 19 August 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW/PROMOTIONAL SPOTLIGHT - ERIC EASLY

BLURB from Goodreads
The Drake is an interstellar hibernation vessel launched by NATO to colonize Kepler 10, and from the start, Dr. Fran Arway has resented the military's involvement. With reluctance she agrees to help Lt. Col. Henry Banks jury-rig his scout ship, the Draconian Measures, for a dangerous launch at 0.7 light speed. But while Banks and Arway deal with each other and the dangers they anticipate, an unknown and deadlier evil awaits.
Available at Amazon.co.uk  * FREE today on Kindle! (19th August)

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite? 
My latest character always seems to be my favorite. If they’re not, the story usually doesn’t get finished. Right now it is an old woman named Martha in a short story  I’m struggling with and she has been my favorite for the last few weeks. Before Martha it was Pamela from The Shadows of and so on back to my first novel, Fractured into Being, in which my favorite character was Dr. Arway. They are my favorites because they are people I would instantly like if we ever met. My characters always have a bit of me in them too that is hidden or cherished or how I wish I had been. 

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why? 

That’s  kind of tough to answer. Arway gets to go to Kepler 10 but she plays hell getting there. I suppose I would be the main character in Ginger’s Words  because he gets to go back and start over again.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write? 

That’s a  good question because I haven’t been writing that long. I graduated from college oh so many years ago and I told myself I’d never write another thing again. This was before personal computers and word processors. What I hated was working with a type writer, but I carried the belief that I hated writing instead for over thirty years, even while wanting to write a science fiction novel for the last twenty. What inspired me to write was a website. I spent a year building a social website  based on an idea of mine similar to Twitter except my site was based around local communities. I wrote tens of thousands of lines of interdependent code. The project was so big that I could not get my arms around it. I had to take one bite at a time while exercising extreme patience (another one of my failings). Even though nobody was interested in the site, I realized if I could do that I could certainly write a novel and so I sat down and wrote my science fiction book. It was easy in comparison.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration? 

My ideas come from some dark place. If you have ever watched the television show House it’s kind of like that where he figures out a case while doing or talking to somebody about something else. I get an idea and it somehow seems right even though I can’t put it in words yet. Other times its like reading a book, I don’t know what is going to happen next but when I get there the twist or whatever is waiting and I simply move ahead fleshing it out. My inspiration comes from Anne Sexton, she was a poet who killed herself back in the 70s. Honestly, I don’t read that much poetry but when I read her work it floored me that words could be so powerful. I always strive to capture that power, even though I know I’m just kidding myself.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?

I’m afraid I’m on a budget which means I do it myself. The working title usually changes several times until it the story is through and then another title almost always seems more appropriate. The cover art is something simple that is both fetching to the eye and gives a sense of the book.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with? 

Well they’re all dead so it would be an interesting dinner. I should say I would like to talk to Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and somebody else great but I think I would rather like James Clavell who wrote Shogun, Carl Sagan who wrote Contact, and J.R.R. Tolkien. I would also try and squeeze in Patrick O’Brian who wrote the Aubrey-Maturin series.


BLURB from Goodreads
Vincent sees a ghost in his bed “doing it.” Not just any ghost, but the beautiful woman he saw earlier today. He met her and her husband at the closing on the house he sold them. The thing is, he had sold his home only because he kept finding ghosts in his bed “doing it.”
The Shadows of... is a collection of three short stories by Eric Easly. They combine elements of 21st century noir with horror, fantasy and a dash of sexual tension.

Available at Amazon.co.uk 

Thank you Eric for taking part in this Interview.

1 comment: